Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Friday Cooks...

hapsterhapster Posts: 6,015
First up; some very simple burgers...

Then... doing two 8.5lb butts

:)

Have a great weekend everyone!
·

Comments

• Awesome have a blast. 
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,053
    What we drinking this weekend Hap? I've got a couple turkey tenderloins for tomorrow with some vanilla porter for the beverage.  Enjoy the weekend.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,015
    Haven't decided yet... Most likely a Sunset Wheat to start...
    ·
  • Just fired up the LBGE to cook chicken breasts, 2 with an Italian rub and 2 with John Henry's Heart Healthy.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    He's BACK !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
    Beers burgers BGE and baseball... Don't get much better

imageimage
    image.jpg
    612 x 612 - 175K
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 831K
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,943
    Love your style Hap! Giving your stout pulled beef a shot tomorrow. How log you think it will take? I have people for dinner at 7 pm
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    @Chubbs I would figure on 8 hours but start earlier. You can always keep it warm in a low oven. Enjoy!!
    ·
    Here are the burgers...

Gaucamole and bacon followed by blue cheese and bacon...

Butts going on soon...
    image.jpg
    612 x 612 - 149K
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,053
    I don't care for avocados unless they are solid on a turkey sandwich but I would try that! Another awesome cook Hap.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
    Thanks @Scottborasjr they were pretty tasty.

Butts about to go on; waiting for the temp to stabilize at around 250. Hickory chunks. Rubbed with Tasty Licks Brisket rub cause I like the taste...

image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 714K
    ·
    Butts on!!!

Sitting back now with some blues on the Bose, a NUB Habano, and a little Irish coffee... Black with a healthy shot of Irish Mist.

image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 666K
    ·
  • Looking good! Going to plan on a butt next weekend for sure! Can't wait. I'm to pissed off at the new dump of snow we have today and all weekend to even cook tonight. Should be sitting back in the sun beside the egg. Your pics make me jelous. Nice cook. Good looking burgers! Soon though, soon.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·

Looking good! Going to plan on a butt next weekend for sure! Can't wait. I'm to pissed off at the new dump of snow we have today and all weekend to even cook tonight. Should be sitting back in the sun beside the egg. Your pics make me jelous. Nice cook. Good looking burgers! Soon though, soon.

Thanks... Don't worry, the warmer weather will be here soon. I like snow and we got hosed this year... Ah well; that's the great thing about our eggs, the egg don't care, the egg don't give a sh@t...

:)
    ·
    Forgot to mention...

First overnight cook using my Maverick. Have the pit probe set for 240 to 275 and the butts at 185... Sleeping thru should be worth the $80. I do want to get a set of the 6' probes soon.
    ·
  • Yes, just getting sick and tired of it. We had some wicked snow so far. And just when I thought it was over, bam, another hit. Anyways.... Will be doing a butt next weekend. Probably just some chicken or steak for this weekend. Have a good one Hap!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
    Thanks @AlbertaEgger :) enjoy whatever egging you can get in...
    ·
    Heading to bed...

Butts are 100IT and the grid is at 230...

See ya in the morning.
    ·
    Update...

Woke at 5 and checked the maverick... pit temp was 189 and butt IT was 154... Thinking that again I shouldn't try to cook something else before doing a low and slow; I threw on my robe and headed out to the deck to see what was up...

Fire was still lit, just needed a little more air. I adjusted the vents, waited a few minutes and when the pit temp had climbed back up to 202 I came back in the house.

Sitting here now at 6:30 I might have to go back and close them off a little... Butt temp is 156 and the pit temp is 250. I have the pit temp range set for 240 to 275... Probably just leave it alone...

Haven't hit the stall yet, just want to make sure I have enough time to run a few errands this morning (getting more WGWW at ACE being one of them) before i have to deal with pulling them for later.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,443
    Hap I just don't recall you saying what kind of number you cook for. You just always seem to cook for the neighborhood.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
    There are only 2 adults and a 9 year old here ;)

I like to share... figured that if I'm firing it up anyway, might as well throw some more on. Besides, these butts were like $10 a piece so it don't cost too much to do a lot.
    ·
    Here we are at about 12 hours into the cook.

IT is 172 and I'm thinking stall soon and the grid temp is 230...

Smells awesome on this beautiful sunny morning.

image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 1010K
    ·
  • NewbbqerNewbbqer Posts: 78
    Looking really, really Good!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,370

=P~ Those are looking great!  I'll have to try Brisket rub on my butt!  Cen-tex puts Butt Rub on his Brisket.  Haps put Brisket rub on his Butt.  I'm so confused!  :-O

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
    Currently at about 14 hours and the IT is 181... the grid is holding nicely at 225 to 230. The deck is sunny and mild and there is a case of Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat on ice and a half dozen ripe oranges ready...

Tigers spank the Yanks on Fox later this afternoon and hopefully the Phillies take care of KC tonight...

Sounds like a great Saturday shaping up round here... hope it's just as good where ever you may be :)
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,875
    edited April 2013
    @hapster

did you have alarms set on your maverick? I sleep like a baby when mine are doing it, just set a pit alarm and meat alarm and it will call if it needs me. Played around with my partyQ night before last, Wasn't perfect, but like @mickey has mentioned, I think this was user error. 

P.S.
    Butts are looking great man!

EDIT:
    I see now you said you had it set for 240-275, I was just curious why it dropped to 183 and didn't wake you up.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·

P.S.
    Butts are looking great man!

EDIT:
    I see now you said you had it set for 240-275, I was just curious why it dropped to 183 and didn't wake you up.
    @MrCookingNurse

Thanks! The alarm didn't wake me up cause I turned it off by accident when it was at 239 and beeping. Luckily for me the dog woke me up at 5 or so and I looked LOL... I did figure out how  to lower the low end of the alarm to 220 so I should be good now and going forward.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,875
    Good deal boss, finish strong!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    At about 16 hours and the bone is barely exposed... Might be a few more hours yet.

Boo Hoo... And my cooler of Sunset Wheat should be nice and cold now.

First umbrella of the season

imageimage
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 519K
    image.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 915K
    ·
  • GramblerGrambler Posts: 142
    Looks like you had your kid up all night doing grill duty :)
    ·