Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eat, Fast, And Be Healthy

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have dabbled with intermittent fasting.  I just did the 24 hour fast, or "every other day eating".  Basically you are just skipping 2 meals every other day.  For example, on Monday you eat 3 meals but finish up dinner by 7 PM, then you don't eat for 24 hours (dinner 7 PM on Tuesday).  

This worked well for me, but my wife said it made me cranky :)
    Did you also limit calories on that Tuesday dinner or would you pig out?  Any snacks during the day or strictly water/juices?
    I would try to eat a relatively healthy meal on the fast days for the Tuesday dinner.  I honestly found that I was not that hungry after 24 hours.  Don't get me wrong...you are ready to eat...but you don't feel like pigging out.  Maybe your stomach shrinks :)

I tried to go close to no calories for 24 hours.  I would drink coffee or tea (black), but that was about it.  I would drink lots of water and I would take fiber pills and a multi-vitamin (which have a marginal amount of cals).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Good points CT.  May jump in and give it a try.  Appreciate the help.

no worries. She was excited that it popped up on the forum. I'm sure she would be glad to give you any pointers you need. She's really into it and swears she's never felt better. Her energy levels are off the charts too. I can't see anything wrong with it so far. 
    Have to work 3 12s in a row, but I will send a message early next week and hopefully we can get in touch.  Going to make some changes post upcoming surgery(laminectomy/microdiscectomy)
    Dude. Ouch!. When is your surgery? C-spine or L-spine? How are enjoying that radiculopathy?
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    I have dabbled with intermittent fasting.  I just did the 24 hour fast, or "every other day eating".  Basically you are just skipping 2 meals every other day.  For example, on Monday you eat 3 meals but finish up dinner by 7 PM, then you don't eat for 24 hours (dinner 7 PM on Tuesday).  

This worked well for me, but my wife said it made me cranky :)
    Did you also limit calories on that Tuesday dinner or would you pig out?  Any snacks during the day or strictly water/juices?
    I would try to eat a relatively healthy meal on the fast days for the Tuesday dinner.  I honestly found that I was not that hungry after 24 hours.  Don't get me wrong...you are ready to eat...but you don't feel like pigging out.  Maybe your stomach shrinks :)

I tried to go close to no calories for 24 hours.  I would drink coffee or tea (black), but that was about it.  I would drink lots of water and I would take fiber pills and a multi-vitamin (which have a marginal amount of cals).  

Thanks for the info!
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Bccomstock,
    My IF was similar to Smokeypitt.  I found breakfast and lunch to be the easiest to forego because I work out of my car all day and eating no processed food on the road is no easy feat.

I didn't stick to an every other day schedule, but ensured 2 days a week.  I was in a pretty strict fast.  Water and a cup of coffee (I generally have a pretty clean diet....but I can't seem to shake the caffeine) for those 24 hours.  There's a lot of debate about fasting and what triggers your body to change fuel sources.  Juice is usually full of sugar, and for me, that's a no go. Lots of water.  I use a Brita.

For me, the first two were tough, and since I haven't in about 2 months I imagine the next 2 will be tough, but after that it's good.  Some people will experience headaches or shakes when you run out of glucose in your blood.  If you can fight through (taking a nap that first time is a common suggestion I've seen) it's a sign that your body is out of gas and looking for something else to use for fuel.

If it's not about weight loss, adaptation might not be needed.

The process taught me what it feels like to be hungry.  Genuinely hungry, and not what your addicted psyche decides.  That helps me during non fasting Times.  When a craving or emotional eating question comes up, I process that with greater awareness of what I'm capable of and what I really need.

It's still a work in progress, and there are those who are pretty sure I'm off my nut.  Bottom line, it's not for everybody, but the disciplined version me has been happy with it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Staci!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Hey you handsome little Molson animal you! ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

The process taught me what it feels like to be hungry.  Genuinely hungry, and not what your addicted psyche decides.  That helps me during non fasting Times.  When a craving or emotional eating question comes up, I process that with greater awareness of what I'm capable of and what I really need.

Very well said!  I found that to be a benefit as well.  There is something about simply not thinking about food for 24 hours that seems to "re-calibrate" eating habits.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.