Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plans of mice and men

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
promised my daughter and her husband pulled pork and ribs Sunday around 2. due to the wife suddenly heading out of town all the errands fall on me so my schedule is jumbled. my plan is to do the roast tonight and refrigerate. ribs tomorrow night and warm everything up Sunday. not want I wanted but so well. my question is do I pull the pork or warm it up whole?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I always keep the butt whole and warm it up at 300 degrees, then pull it. Never had a problem, and tastes like it just came of the egg
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I think both ways work OK but I prefer to pull it, put it in aluminum pans (covered) and then reheat it in those the next day at 300. 

They reheat quickly and you can pull it right out of the oven and eat it. I was concerned the first few times about a loss of moisture but haven't found that to be the case.

Good luck. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

There you have it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I'm in the pull then reheat camp primarily because I like to have a healthy sample of the pork before it gets stored for the reheat.  After all, you have to check it out at the close of the cook.  Reheats quickly and doesn't dry out as @Hi54putty says.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    thanks folks. there's a chance I could put the butt on at 4 Sat...8lbs. surely be done by noon Sun. get up early and throw the ribs on. I'm down with a sinus thing and would love to sleep in Sunday. idk... would be easier to spread it out and help with time for the greens, taters, corn.... etc.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I pull it, add some liquid (bbq sauce or ACV mixed with apple juice) and seal up with my food saver.  Then reheat in food saver bag in a pot off hot water.  If you do not have a food saver machine, ziploc bags work good too, just suck out as much air as possible.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited April 2013
    Are you anti turbo?? Just throwing things out there. I vote to pull it before you store it, if you to that route.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    no... just don't know how that'll help my schedule.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm also in the "pull first" camp.  Foodsaver bags work great like @MikeP624 mentioned.  I don't add any liquid to the bag.  Nothing wrong with doing that...but I have found there is plenty of natural porky juice in the bag.  When you reheat it locked in the foodsaver it retains that "fresh pulled" taste.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Well you could light the egg early Sunday morn, and do both turbo. Do you have two level cooking?

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    I don't have a food saver....I asked @nolaegghead which is best but I guess he's too good to message me back... or fleur won't let him.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    I don't have a food saver....I asked @nolaegghead which is best but I guess he's too good to message me back... or fleur won't let him.
    Seems like a good excuse to go buy a new toy!  I don't really know much about the different models...I just bought the one that was on sale through their web site.

Honestly to keep the food for one or two days it isn't a necessity, but it is a nice to have.  I usually make plenty of extra and always have some on hand in the freezer just in case I need a fix and can't egg.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• "due to the wife suddenly heading out of town"

Something you need to share with the group Tony?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    henapple said:

Nola likes the basic one you can get at most big box store (runs about $80). Here is a thread I ran when I got mine his response is in there somewhere

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143266/food-saver#latest
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like the pull first as will. But is Obama going to show up at my door with his anti-gun people checking my postage....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple

"due to the wife suddenly heading out of town"

Something you need to share with the group Tony?
    my daughter decided to go out for the dance team at utc.... last minute. not because I'm an as whole., she's used to that.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Mickey said:
    I like the pull first as will. But is Obama going to show up at my door with his anti-gun people checking my postage....
    Earth to Mickey........come in Mickey. Turn off Alex Jones and put down "Info Wars, the Magazine". It's all going to be OK. Come back to us........

:-/
  • henapple
    Mickey said:

not as such as suspicious as meat glue...
  • henapple said:
    not as such as suspicious as meat glue...
    That stuff is sketchy. I don't see why you even mess around with it

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I snorted it and can't breathe through my right nostril anymo

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I snorted it and can't breathe through my right nostril anymo
    It's not meant for children LS. You need to ask for permission before breaking out the Meat Glue

• henapple
    meat glue...sounds like something sold at a xxx shop.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I say pull first. One less thing to do on Sun while you're getting other stuff ready. Turbo is a real time saver, but I got less smoke flavor when I've done it in the past. If you want to sleep in a bit on Sun, overnight lo n slo sounds like the MO you need. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Here's how to do it:

Do your ribs tonight or tomorrow afternoon. wrap them in foil and refrigerate. do your butt overnight low and slow on Saturday night. Sleep in. Pull your butt off to FTC around noon or 1 and throw your foil wrapped ribs in the 250 egg for an hour and eat. you can sauce them up or however you like to do it and they will be just as if they came off the egg.

• When Should TFJ and I arrive? We will bring sides and ice.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    is the ice for the mosh pit injuries? I'll bring my helmet in that case.
  • is the ice for the mosh pit injuries? I'll bring my helmet in that case.
    It's to keep the water in the meat glue bong cold. You do not want a hot meat glue bong chamber (don't ask)

• henapple

When Should TFJ and I arrive? We will bring sides and ice.

come on... just bring some of her bread
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    is the ice for the mosh pit injuries? I'll bring my helmet in that case.
    It's to keep the water in the meat glue bong cold. You do not want a hot meat glue bong chamber (don't ask)

The steam off that chamber would kill your buzz man.