Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on buying a Large Egg in Central Texas

Hi, all. I've been lurking on the forums and have been overwhelmed by the active community! Your enthusiasm and savory details have lured me to the BGE dark side. I'm working to build my father an outdoor patio so he can get his grilling on.

I live in the Central Texas area. Please post any details if you have bought a Large egg recently. I'm looking to arm myself with good data so I have an idea of what price to ask for and which accessories to have 'included'. Negotiating a decent price on a new egg is what I'm aiming for. I've thought about buying an egg from the Eggfest but am wary of it. Thanks, everyone!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Don't be shy about an Eggfest egg. It's a one-time use egg with warranty for around 20% off retail(plus extras). Go to the fest and observe plus ask lots of questions. You'll learn more in 2 hours than you will in a year by yourself.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    do the eggfest, savings and you don't have to haggle, and you still get the warranty.  plus you can go get some awesome food at the fest.  you are at an advantage there are still fest coming this year in Austin and Athens and a few others I am sure.
  • The Salado eggfest deal is very good. Full warranty. They may still have one left.

http://demoeggs.blogspot.com
    Gittin' there...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    EggFest Eggs used about 6 hours selling for $750 with nest and stuff. Explain wary of it please and maybe we can help.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Don't be wary of an egg fest egg. Having been to a few fests and owing two eggs, that is the only place I'd buy a new egg.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Don't be wary of an egg fest egg. Having been to a few fests and owing two eggs, that is the only place I'd buy a new egg.
    I respectfully disagree.  First, the discounts are usually not that great.  Our dealer in Houston gives a 20% discount during the winter months.  My neighbor just bought one from out of state with no shipping or sales tax, so that would approach an Eggfest Egg price.  Also, from doing a stir fry at Salado last year, I totally fried the gasket on the Large I was using.  I felt sorry for whoever had bought it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    BBQ Outfitters is throwing in a free admission ($30) to the Austin Eggfest if you buy an egg at the Eggfest. I have been dealing with these folks for years and can't complain.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    VI has a point. The gasket will likely be fried on a demo and that out of state deal sounds pretty good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have bought 2 eggs at an Eggfest and 2 from the dealer. With the non fest purchase eggs, Bob at BBQ Outfitters has given me what I consider a fair price. If you live near Austin go there. A fest is coming up soon or if you are near Salado go visit the people at the Ace hardware store. There is something to be said from buying from a dealer. And yes gaskets get fried at fest but dealer will replace free of charge.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I bought mine from an eggfest. Great deal full warranty. What's not to like. I saved a lot of money doing it that way and plus I learned so much about egging. The people are knownledgeable, helpful and freindly. I felt like I was at a big BBQ not a promo to sell eggs. It is not like that at all. Most eggs are bought in advance anyways.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Buy it froman eggfest... I bought my dad a large at the eggfest in Salado and it was such an easy experiance and it saved money
  • Mickey

Salado EggFest is past and there might be one left, Just call Russ at Keith's Ace Hardware in Salado.

Bob who puts on the Austin Texas Fest is a very good guy and I have bought from him as well as Salado.

Just buy an Egg now, you shop for a month or two to save a $100 is just not worth it. Enjoy it now....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bobbymcG
    bobbymcG Posts: 13
    Thanks for the input! Summer is right around the corner and I would hate to miss out on quality BBQ'ing time outside. From what I gather, an Egg from the 'fest sounds like a decent deal. I'll see if I can get the dealer to throw in a replacement gasket and a few goodies. Then, I'll be set!

Looking forward to pestering you for actual grilling advice. Thanks, all!
  • Mickey
    edited April 2013
    The Eggs now do not seem to have that problem as they have the new style gasket. Also it's not the dealer, Mother Egg gives the old style gaskets under warranty. We had 30 new style lit up in Salado and not a problem. The past two years we lost 2 or 3 each year. Gaskets seem to be fixed on the new stock. Bobby I am sure you can get the dealer to knock off a few extra hundred dollars as well as a few goodies. At the Fest price they are still making 50% mark up. No I am not a dealer. And yes there is sarcasm.

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    CB Hardware in Cedar Park is another good dealer.  I've known the owner for a while and sent lots of people to his shop.  They're usually quite a bit cheaper than the other places in town so it's worth giving them a call. 

And the new eggs already have the upgraded gasket pre-installed.  But no more ceramic feet :-(
    Cedar Park, TX