Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eat, Fast, And Be Healthy

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum

The name of an interesting show with Dr. Michael Mosley on the ancient idea and science of fasting to improve health and extend life.  In it, he discussed Insulin-like Growth Hormone (IGF-1), and its role in accelerating aging and aging of the brain, and increasing risks of developing seven types of cancer.

They studied a group in Ecuador with a disorder known as Laron syndrome.  This population has very low levels of IGF-1 paired with extremely low levels of diabetes and cancer, despite living unhealthy lifestyles.

By fasting for 3.5 days eating one 50 calorie soup per day and water for fluids, he decreased his IGF-1 by 50%. 

Studies with mice have produced significant results.  Studies on humans are currently underway at UIC.   

Knowing that a 4 day fast in regular life would be difficult, he was recommended by a Dr to a 5/2 diet.  5 days regular eating/caloric intake, 2 days with a 600 calorie total.  After 5 weeks, his IGF-1 decreased 50%.  His high risk status(cardiometabolic workup) prior to dieting for developing CVD, CVA, MI, CHF, and diabetes was reduced to "1 in a million" per the doc.  Body fat decreased from 27% to 19%.  Fasting glucose, LDH, total cholesterol, triglycerides, and BP all decreased.  HDL went up.  

Not sure when this documentary was made?  Has anyone tried this method?  

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Interesting. Totally different meaning without one comma

"Eat Fast, And Be Healthy"

Wish it were that easy, I'd have no problems.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Interesting. Totally different meaning without one comma

"Eat Fast, And Be Healthy"

I thought the same thing - figured I was about to get good news for eating quickly.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Like the classic 'Let's eat Grandma' vs 'Let's eat, Grandma'. Comma makes a big difference.
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I've dabbled with intermittent fasting.  Fast for 20-30 hrs, twice a week.  Tough at first but you get used to it.  I was able to accomplish very strenuous workouts usually at the 18-24 hr mark because I also minimized processed foods and starches.  My body had adapted to burning fat for fuel, and there was plenty of fuel even during a fast.  Fasting (once adapted) can give you a cleansing affect.

I didn't get blood work so I can't really speak to those specific results, but after about 8 weeks I seemed to plateu with my weight loss results.  Research made me question if it was either because my body had grown accustomed to it and made adjustments, or had slipped into starvation mode and slowed my metabolism as a protection.  Either way I needed to shake things up.

There is alot of interesting schools of thought out there on nutrition, and once you dig in a little they all seem to view each other the way we look at gassed users, or Weber users.  Close a Paleo in a room with someone on Weight Watchers for example and watch the fireworks!
  • Focker
    edited April 2013

Tjcoley said:

Like the classic 'Let's eat Grandma' vs 'Let's eat, Grandma'. Comma makes a big difference.
    Yeah, we covered that in 5th grade.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2013
     I've dabbled with intermittent fasting.  Fast for 20-30 hrs, twice a week.  Tough at first but you get used to it.  I was able to accomplish very strenuous workouts usually at the 18-24 hr mark because I also minimized processed foods and starches.  My body had adapted to burning fat for fuel, and there was plenty of fuel even during a fast.  Fasting (once adapted) can give you a cleansing affect.
    Thanks for your input!  The cleansing affect makes sense.  By fasting, it slows our cells down to extend the repair and growth period.   

Figured working 12 hour shifts, sleep 6 hours and I'm 3/4s the way through one day.  :))

There is alot of interesting schools of thought out there on nutrition, and once you dig in a little they all seem to view each other the way we look at gassed users, or Weber users.  Close a Paleo in a room with someone on Weight Watchers for example and watch the fireworks!

Never understood that mentality???  Like stike said, "Relax, it's just a grill".  Not going vegan or anything, but I need to start exploring Grace Chen's books and wok cooking.  I could stretch out proteins this way.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Empty all the sand outta that dang wok and fire it up!  Switch to Brown rice and you'll be a health nut.

I only responded because I wanted to see if I could figure out those litte animated thing's.  Ready?
    :-h
  • Focker

Incinerated the seasoning.  Delegating it for pizzas, which will stay in the rotation.  The small and 12" wok is a lump miser.  ;)

Never been a huge rice fan, but I'll look into it. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    In my psych rotation, my instructor told us an interesting tidbit about grapes during a group meeting. A few of the patients were complaining about anti - psychotic's SE. She recommended that every couple of weeks to only eat grapes for 24 hours with plenty of water. I don't know if this was just for placebo effect or just her own beliefs about alternative medicine. She stated that the "cleanse" (lots of diarrhea) would wash out impurities. I just think it's the fructose overload washing you out.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Anyone on this forum play golf
  • Focker
    In my psych rotation, my instructor told us an interesting tidbit about grapes during a group meeting. A few of the patients were complaining about anti - psychotic's SE. She recommended that every couple of weeks to only eat grapes for 24 hours with plenty of water. I don't know if this was just for placebo effect or just her own beliefs about alternative medicine. She stated that the "cleanse" (lots of diarrhea) would wash out impurities. I just think it's the fructose overload washing you out.
    They are a diuretic, high in K.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2013
    Mike8it said:
    Anyone on this forum play golf

"Do you putt from the rough?"  :))

One of my favorite flicks.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Focker said:

I know that. It just seems more like a "natural bowel prep" rather than some magic cleanser. Diuretics make water go places(fast) but I don't know about "impurities". Drugs are metabolized in the liver, just excreted by the kidneys. Not the orifice slightly inferior and posteriorly located. ;)

If your having heart failure, I feel bad for you son.

I got 40mg of Lasix so edema ain't one.

(mind the creatinine)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Tjcoley said:

You guys should try living near the Amish in Lancaster, PA. My favorites are, "Throw papa down the stairs, his hat." Or, "Throw the horse over the fence, some hay." Talking to an Amishman always throws me for a loop.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You guys should try living near the Amish in Lancaster, PA. My favorites are, "Throw papa down the stairs, his hat." Or, "Throw the horse over the fence, some hay." Talking to an Amishman always throws me for a loop.
    I'm about 40 minutes from Lancaster, outside of Harrisburg.  'Throw Mama from the car, a kiss'
    I guess Yoda was Amish.
  • Focker said:

The name of an interesting show with Dr. Michael Mosley on the ancient idea and science of fasting to improve health and extend life.  In it, he discussed Insulin-like Growth Hormone (IGF-1), and its role in accelerating aging and aging of the brain, and increasing risks of developing seven types of cancer.

They studied a group in Ecuador with a disorder known as Laron syndrome.  This population has very low levels of IGF-1 paired with extremely low levels of diabetes and cancer, despite living unhealthy lifestyles.

By fasting for 3.5 days eating one 50 calorie soup per day and water for fluids, he decreased his IGF-1 by 50%. 

Studies with mice have produced significant results.  Studies on humans are currently underway at UIC.   

Knowing that a 4 day fast in regular life would be difficult, he was recommended by a Dr to a 5/2 diet.  5 days regular eating/caloric intake, 2 days with a 600 calorie total.  After 5 weeks, his IGF-1 decreased 50%.  His high risk status(cardiometabolic workup) prior to dieting for developing CVD, CVA, MI, CHF, and diabetes was reduced to "1 in a million" per the doc.  Body fat decreased from 27% to 19%.  Fasting glucose, LDH, total cholesterol, triglycerides, and BP all decreased.  HDL went up.  

Not sure when this documentary was made?  Has anyone tried this method?  

My wife (TFJ) Is doing this intermittant fast as we speak. she loves it. Feels great and ahs lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks.she does work out 6 days a week and eats healthy on the non-fast days. she swears by it and plans to continue it. says she's never felt better
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker

Thanks for replying CT.

Giving up 2 days per week doesn't seem that bad.

Glad she is seeing and feeling good results. :)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:

Thanks for replying CT.

Giving up 2 days per week doesn't seem that bad.

Glad she is seeing and feeling good results. :)

she loves it and the fast days aren't horrible. You eat 500 calories on those days. She eats lots of veggies but if you went low carb, you could eat like 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts over 3-4 meals or a bunch of fish. Shrimp are like 10 calories a piece so you can eat 50 of them! If you do it right, it's not that hard. i'm doing low carb right now and it's working for me but she really loves it. i would try it for sure.

• Focker

Good points CT.  May jump in and give it a try.  Appreciate the help.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:

no worries. She was excited that it popped up on the forum. I'm sure she would be glad to give you any pointers you need. She's really into it and swears she's never felt better. Her energy levels are off the charts too. I can't see anything wrong with it so far. 
  • In my psych rotation, my instructor told us an interesting tidbit about grapes during a group meeting. A few of the patients were complaining about anti - psychotic's SE. She recommended that every couple of weeks to only eat grapes for 24 hours with plenty of water. I don't know if this was just for placebo effect or just her own beliefs about alternative medicine. She stated that the "cleanse" (lots of diarrhea) would wash out impurities. I just think it's the fructose overload washing you out.
    I know that. It just seems more like a "natural bowel prep" rather than some magic cleanser. Diuretics make water go places(fast) but I don't know about "impurities". Drugs are metabolized in the liver, just excreted by the kidneys. Not the orifice slightly inferior and posteriorly located. ;) If your having heart failure, I feel bad for you son. I got 40mg of Lasix so edema ain't one. (mind the creatinine)
    I threw on my ipod, Jay Z for my workout today just because of this thread 8-}
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited April 2013
    CT, did she start right up with the 2 day fast or work into it?  I've been thinking about doing this or a modified version of it after reading about it a couple weeks ago.. 

Same for you Wok.. Did you jump right in with the 2 day fast of limited calories?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have dabbled with intermittent fasting.  I just did the 24 hour fast, or "every other day eating".  Basically you are just skipping 2 meals every other day.  For example, on Monday you eat 3 meals but finish up dinner by 7 PM, then you don't eat for 24 hours (dinner 7 PM on Tuesday).  

This worked well for me, but my wife said it made me cranky :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CT, did she start right up with the 2 day fast or work into it?  I've been thinking about doing this or a modified version of it after reading about it a couple weeks ago.. 

Same for you Wok.. Did you jump right in with the 2 day fast of limited calories?
    She jumped right in on a Monday and we had gone out with some friends on Sunday and had a bunch of drinks. I thought she was nuts but she said she felt better by the end of the day than she thought she would. 
  • Focker
    Focker said:

no worries. She was excited that it popped up on the forum. I'm sure she would be glad to give you any pointers you need. She's really into it and swears she's never felt better. Her energy levels are off the charts too. I can't see anything wrong with it so far. 
    Have to work 3 12s in a row, but I will send a message early next week and hopefully we can get in touch.  Going to make some changes post upcoming surgery(laminectomy/microdiscectomy)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I have dabbled with intermittent fasting.  I just did the 24 hour fast, or "every other day eating".  Basically you are just skipping 2 meals every other day.  For example, on Monday you eat 3 meals but finish up dinner by 7 PM, then you don't eat for 24 hours (dinner 7 PM on Tuesday).  

Did you also limit calories on that Tuesday dinner or would you pig out?  Any snacks during the day or strictly water/juices?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Focker

Imagine I'd be a bit cranky too.   ~X(

This would be a good way to start. 

Thanks SP

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:
    Focker said:

Have to work 3 12s in a row, but I will send a message early next week and hopefully we can get in touch.  Going to make some changes post upcoming surgery(laminectomy/microdiscectomy)
    any time. Just send me a PM and I'll get you guys in otuch