Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - Dark egg after smoking

Options
Hello all,

I bought a large for my 40th - having fun.  I did a turbo butt with pecan chunks, and it really darkened the egg.  When I look at photos of eggs folks have been using for years, the dome is lighter.  The wood chunks had lots of sap, it got in my daisy wheel and is sticky.  You can see the glossy stuff on the side of the lower piece.  Any similar experiences?

Performance of the egg is fine, here is a aged sirloin going on.  Austin, Texas - we have HEB with aged prime beef.  I just hope North Korea allows me to keep egging for a while.

Best - 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You are fine.  If it bothers you, you can do a burnout.  Just load it up with lump, put your Daisywheel, platesetter, grid inside and open bottom vent and have top completely off.  

Let it burn til it goes out, it will get rid of the gunk.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    are you talking inside or outside? and the wood you are smoking with should not have any sap. Are you using fresh wood or stuff you bought?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Thanks guys -

Dark inside only.. I bought the wood, it should have been dry, but it burned like it wasn't dried enough.  I'll do a pizza and then let it burn out.

• Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    Thats how they look unless you do a clean burn. Which to me is a waste of good lump.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have only had my large for three months. It is as black as night on the inside. I will eventually do a clean burn, but don't see the need for it yet.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are supposed to be black inside. That won't even burn off in a clean burn. Welcome to the club. The white ones are new and uninitiated. A clean burn will clean your firebox and ring but not the inside of the egg itself. Black is beautiful!

• sumoconnell
    Options
    :) 

I've had mine for just over a month, and the wife and kids are begging me to slow down!  We haven't been out to eat much since the egg has become the fat little green son I never had.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    what part of Austin? There are several of us on here.

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    is a burn off necessary?  I have never done one and have had it going on four years.  aside from gunk does it affect performance?  

I am about to replace my gasket so it may be a good time to do it (before i replace the gasket)

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Beaumonty said:
    is a burn off necessary?  I have never done one and have had it going on four years.  aside from gunk does it affect performance?  

I am about to replace my gasket so it may be a good time to do it (before i replace the gasket)

Absolutely not
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    Steiner Ranch, I think I'm the only non-California person on my block.

Got my egg at BBQ Outfitters, and my father in law may be getting one soon (Sun City).  With the eggfest coming up, there is a good chance he'll have a demo egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Steiner Ranch, I think I'm the only non-California person on my block.

Got my egg at BBQ Outfitters, and my father in law may be getting one soon (Sun City).  With the eggfest coming up, there is a good chance he'll have a demo egg.
    Nice! i'm in Lakeway and have great friends in Steiner.......he is from Cali :)). 

I'll be cooking at the fest so stop by and see us. let me know if you need any help. I'll come over and set you up with whatever you need help with.

headed to BBQ Outfitters right now to pick up some parts.

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Sounds good - see you there!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Beaumonty said:

A burn off had one purpose: to waste lump.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    you know it...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    @sumoconnel Looks GREAT, yes we like black
    Hope you NOT doin a high temp with that sensor
    in that steak, If so you WILL burn it up(sensor)

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's