Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wooden or steal pizza peel ?

Using a steel pizza peel but I wonder if wood has any cons or pros. Perhaps wood is less sticky?
Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My wood one works like a charm. Has a little seasoning on it from use. Just rub it down with some flour before hand and dough slides right off. Got mine for like $12 at a restaurant supply store.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Mine is aluminum and works fine. I use parchment, so no sticking issues. I went with aluminum because my peel lives outside.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

Got out the drill yesterday with a leather boot lace and coat hangers.  My kitchen is looking more like my garage.

Pros of wood:  Flour will adhere better to create nonstick surface

Cons of wood:  May warp, crack

Periodic maintenance of mineral oil is recommended

Thicker peel, making turning and removal more difficult

Pros of metal:  Thinner

Holds up better from frequent cutting

Cons of metal:  Flour will not adhere during assembly and launch

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I like metal, takes a beating and is outside in the rain so wood for me is out.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I never could dust my pies enough not to stick to metal, ruined a few, and the problems went away when I started using a wood peel.  Since I already had it, however, I prefer the metal peel for removing a cooked pie; since I'm building the next pizza on my wooden peel while the first is cooking, this works well.  
    But, if I had to have just one, it'd be wood.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109

I made my own - it was only a few bucks and I love doing stuff with my hands and seeing the results of my labor when its all done. Ohh and it works great!

here is a "how to" from the Naked Whiz: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/peel.htm  

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Never used metal but wood works great.  Rub in some flour on the peel and no problem assembling the pie right on the peel.  Shake a few times (to make sure it's not sticking) and right onto the heated pizza stone direct without parchment or corn meal.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    I have both, but prefer the wood peel.  Easy to release pies onto the stone, and less slippery when taking pies off.
    Mamaroneck
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Good point Mama Roneck.  Have almost lost a couple due to the slick metal surface.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Damnit Nola!  Here we are having a nice chat here about the merits of our crappy $15 peels, and you barge in with another one of your spectacular projects.  You did the same a few weeks back with your fantastic weatherproof TV box - now my family thinks we need one!

(Seriously though, keep 'em coming. One of these days I'll get inspired to actually screw a table together)
    Mamaroneck
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Big fan of the Super Peel. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks @Mama_Roneck !

Typically, a project like that costs me about $3 in materials, and about $1000 in tools ;D

But, hey, it's all good fun.  One of my favorite things is building it, then you can enjoy it for years.
    A wood peel is much kinder on a knife blade.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Wood for sliding pie into oven, aluminum for re-positioning and removal from oven :)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2013
    I don't do a lot of pizzas, so I use the back of a cookie sheet.  The pizza sits on parchment paper.  It slides right off and back on very easily.  It's not that I'm too cheap to buy a peel.  I just don't want to have to store one anywhere. (I use the cookie sheet for other things).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    I do the same as VI. I just don't do enough pizza to justify the purchase.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I don't do a lot of pizzas, so I use the back of a cookie sheet.  The pizza sits on parchment paper.  It slides right off and back on very easily.  It's not that I'm too cheap to buy a peel.  I just don't want to have to store one anywhere. (I use the cookie sheet for other things).

Actually he broke it jousting on his mo-ped.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use a Super Peel to get pizzas from the counter to the egg and love it. Now I usually do pizza parties with anywhere from 3- 13 pizzas so it was a no brainer for me to get one. I have a metal one to spin and take off the egg. I have found a good method to keep the rotation going with the dual pizza peels and with the super peel pizzas can be made ahead of time and won't stick to the peel or counter. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.