Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot Platesetter Storage

Hi, I have a large with a platesetter and I was wondering what to do with it, if you change to direct cook with a very hot grill?
I thought of making a rack that could be used for cooling and for storage.

bob
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Freddy,

Great idea. I should get one. Are they expensive?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,301
    I just put mine on the cement leaned up against a brick house.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • I generally shun the environmental movement because that leads to driving "clown cars" and I'm a big guy.  However, the tree huggers are big into "re-purposing" and that's what I did.  This gasser has never served me so well.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    I have a set of wire shelves next to my egg and I set it on a shelf to cool if I need to take it out... or I just set the whole Woo3 rig with it in it on the top shelf...
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I use a galvanized bucket for ash removal.  I set a hot platesetter on top of the bucket until it cools enough to carry it to the old gasser for storage.
  • BakerManBakerMan Posts: 154
    I have a piece of marble on my table top so I'll put there till it cools. I used to keep a couple of bricks on the deck and set the place setter their till cool.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
    ·
  • I've tried to come up with something for that myself. Not just for storage but a tool to get the darn thing out when changing over to an open fire grill. Hard to believe that the "eggPeople" haven't come up with a gadget. So I use mitts to get it out and then place it on a 16"x16" stone paver to cool it off. I have run cold water on it but I'm probably lucky that it didn't crack. Would love to hear more suggestions.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269

Hi Bob

Mine kinda looks like this:

I hope this helps.

Same here!  That's almost my exact Weber, 'cept mine doesn't have the hinged left table.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Wherever you put it do it fast, I have a metal table next to my egg that I sit it on
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    I have one of these in my garage and I just store it in the middle cabinet part after allowing it to cool a bit.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I just stand it on its side on the concrete.  Doesn't need to rest against anything, it balances on two legs.  I've never had it fall over...maybe I'm lucky.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,405
    I like to juggle with it, the DMFT, and the rain cap until it cools. I'm not very good; it's an expensive hobby.

(seriously, I just put it on a slate paver)
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    @Eggcelsior: I used to light my charcoal chimney over a slate paver a while back. It disintegrated after a dew sessions. The platesetter probably doesn't get as hot as that so I guess you're okay.

When I had a platesetter (all of 2 weeks) I used to set it on top of said charcoal chimney to cool down. No the charcoal chimney did not have lit charcoal in it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    I use a pair of long narrow (actually remnants) pavers on the bottom shelf of my egg table.  The tricky part is just getting it out when hot.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,405
    Yeah. Legs down limits the contact and creates air circulation. Plus it's easier to sit on to warm my butt when it's cold outside.
    ·
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 336
    I use a Woo2, i just grab it by the handles with welding gloves on and set it in my gasser.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 959
    edited April 2013
    I have the official BGE cypress table for my XL and placed 4 fire bricks on their sides on the lower shelf.  The platesetter, pizza stone, SS grid or the CI grate (2 piece hence the 4 bricks) can be place atop with no damage to the shelf due to the gap for air flow.  I must admit to using the old Weber for temporary cooling space at times.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,565
    on winter nights I put in under the bed sheets to warm it up... toasty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·