Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken Legs

The usual.  Well marinated in Allegro Hot & Spicy.  Raised direct at 400 until the internal was in the 180s.  Crispy skin and spicy meat.  A favorite weekday cook.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

Comments

• Looks good as ever Doc!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,087
    You got legs.  You know how to use em. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    Nice looking meal.  I sometimes lay 3-4 eggstra legs on the top.
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,335
    nice cook man, ive gotta get one of those leg holders

XLBGE 
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    You have the best looking legs.....well you kow what I mean.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,492
    tulocay said:
    You have the best looking legs.....well you kow what I mean.
    Try that Allegro if you are OK with a little spicy.  It makes the skin turn out really nice.

• I agree with tulocay.  (well, kind of)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,723
    Looks outstanding! My wife and I have strayed from the path with our low carb diet lately. We are getting back on it this coming week. Will be doing lots of cooks like yours again in the near future.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,550
    Ambassador Eggerton, you've got to hook me up with some of that sauce plus Dichickos! I can't find it around me!
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,572
    edited April 2013
    I ordered two of those leg racks a couple days ago.  Can't wait to get them in and use them!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ambassador Eggerton, you've got to hook me up with some of that sauce plus Dichickos! I can't find it around me!
    I buy Allegro at Publix.  Best there is for the legs, and I use it on beef as well.  Dichickos can be had on-line at https://dichickos.com/ .

I buy Allegro at Publix.  Best there is for the legs, and I use it on beef as well.  Dichickos can be had on-line at https://dichickos.com/ .
    No Publix near me. I think it is available at Harris Teeter but that is an hour away so I would have to be in the neighborhood. Same with Dichicko's. 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,196
    Have a Kroeger (sp?) or Fred Meyer near you? 
    Thanks to Doc, I found it at Fred Meyer. It is a made for leg/thigh sauce, has become our goto. 

Thanks again Doc.

@AlbertaEgger - this is the Doc I was trying to refer you to as the best "leg man" on the forum. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    Nope. No Kroger chains in the mid-Atlantic. We only have Safeway, Weis, Giant Eagle, Giant, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, bottom dollar, Aldi, Lauers and Macgruders, Shop Rite, and Eddies. The ones you may have never heard of are all local chains. 

Harris Teeter is usually the only viable option for stuff since it is a North Carolina-based store. That's the only place I can find many sauces and rubs outside of the Egg dealers or online.
  • I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
    WHY... I can do 6 on the Mini and more than I can eat on the Large just laying down. I just don't see the need for a rack. Now an Adj Rig is a whole different thing.......
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Mickey said:
    I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
    WHY... I can do 6 on the Mini and more than I can eat on the Large just laying down. I just don't see the need for a rack. Now an Adj Rig is a whole different thing.......
    Yes, Mickey likes to lay them down.  That way, there's no chance they will be raw when you eat them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

I find the rack leads to a very even, crisp skin all the way round.  A lot of our toys don't really make a difference, but I do think legs come out better this way.

With no need for turning, the dome stays closed the whole time.  Takes 35 minutes at 400 to hit the 180's internal.

• Looks darn good, good cook.
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 192
    Doc, have you ever tried "fried" chicken legs this way, meaning have you ever dredged and coated them before roasting? I want to try that this weekend, just wondering your thoughts...
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    Doc, have you ever tried "fried" chicken legs this way, meaning have you ever dredged and coated them before roasting? I want to try that this weekend, just wondering your thoughts...
    No I haven't.  Make sure you give us some pics.

• chainsaw19chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    No Publix near me. I think it is available at Harris Teeter but that is an hour away so I would have to be in the neighborhood. Same with Dichicko's. 

@Eggcelsior There is a HT off 28 near Gaithersburg/darnestown if you weren't aware, I hit that one on my way home if I am looking for this kind of stuff.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD