Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Platesetter Storage

Options
Hi, I have a large with a platesetter and I was wondering what to do with it, if you change to direct cook with a very hot grill?
I thought of making a rack that could be used for cooling and for storage.

bob

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Freddy,

Great idea. I should get one. Are they expensive?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I just put mine on the cement leaned up against a brick house.

XLBGE 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I generally shun the environmental movement because that leads to driving "clown cars" and I'm a big guy.  However, the tree huggers are big into "re-purposing" and that's what I did.  This gasser has never served me so well.
    Flint, Michigan
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have a set of wire shelves next to my egg and I set it on a shelf to cool if I need to take it out... or I just set the whole Woo3 rig with it in it on the top shelf...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I use a galvanized bucket for ash removal.  I set a hot platesetter on top of the bucket until it cools enough to carry it to the old gasser for storage.
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    I have a piece of marble on my table top so I'll put there till it cools. I used to keep a couple of bricks on the deck and set the place setter their till cool.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • MikeElliott
    Options
    I've tried to come up with something for that myself. Not just for storage but a tool to get the darn thing out when changing over to an open fire grill. Hard to believe that the "eggPeople" haven't come up with a gadget. So I use mitts to get it out and then place it on a 16"x16" stone paver to cool it off. I have run cold water on it but I'm probably lucky that it didn't crack. Would love to hear more suggestions.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options

Hi Bob

Mine kinda looks like this:

I hope this helps.

Same here!  That's almost my exact Weber, 'cept mine doesn't have the hinged left table.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Wherever you put it do it fast, I have a metal table next to my egg that I sit it on
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    I have one of these in my garage and I just store it in the middle cabinet part after allowing it to cool a bit.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I just stand it on its side on the concrete.  Doesn't need to rest against anything, it balances on two legs.  I've never had it fall over...maybe I'm lucky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like to juggle with it, the DMFT, and the rain cap until it cools. I'm not very good; it's an expensive hobby.

(seriously, I just put it on a slate paver)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Eggcelsior: I used to light my charcoal chimney over a slate paver a while back. It disintegrated after a dew sessions. The platesetter probably doesn't get as hot as that so I guess you're okay.

When I had a platesetter (all of 2 weeks) I used to set it on top of said charcoal chimney to cool down. No the charcoal chimney did not have lit charcoal in it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I use a pair of long narrow (actually remnants) pavers on the bottom shelf of my egg table.  The tricky part is just getting it out when hot.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yeah. Legs down limits the contact and creates air circulation. Plus it's easier to sit on to warm my butt when it's cold outside.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I use a Woo2, i just grab it by the handles with welding gloves on and set it in my gasser.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have the official BGE cypress table for my XL and placed 4 fire bricks on their sides on the lower shelf.  The platesetter, pizza stone, SS grid or the CI grate (2 piece hence the 4 bricks) can be place atop with no damage to the shelf due to the gap for air flow.  I must admit to using the old Weber for temporary cooling space at times.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    on winter nights I put in under the bed sheets to warm it up... toasty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN