Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need a digital meat thermometer

Any suggestions on an istant read digital meat thermometer and how much I should spend?
·

Comments

• Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 520
    edited April 2013
    I think a vast majority here will say without hesitation the Thermapen. I own one and its invaluable. They generally go in the $100 range, but a couple times a year they'll have an open box sale on their website for $60 I think. At whatever price, it's the absolute way to go.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,458
    Thermapen, well worth it. I thought the open box price was $70 and the regular price was $90, but I could be wrong. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    +3 on the thermapen. Bought mine on a clearance special. Cost me $63.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    The fastest model. used in Afghanistan... instrumental in the capture of Bin Laden :-B
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • henapple said:
    The fastest model. used in Afghanistan... instrumental in the capture of Bin Laden :-B

I disagree, everyone knows that the orange thermapen is the fastest.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • Thermapen, 100 bucks, worth every dime. 
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Thermapen is the only way to go. There are cheaper but the don't hold up as long and are not as fast.

Orange is the best one.
    ·
  • henapple said:
    Captured? Well I guess dead in a ditch is captured. :-$
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    henapple said:
    Captured? Well I guess dead in a ditch is captured. :-$
    I don't think he is in a ditch....

·
  • BeaumontyBeaumonty Posts: 171
    Thermapen.  My wife couldn't believe i paid that much but she uses it daily.  Mine's red FYI.  Not only fastest but it's also  easy to find in a drawer. ;)
    ·
  • dudes- you can not get any faster than flames. Seriously. You people need to get real. Orange? ridiculous. Next @brownie is going to show up out of the blue with his green one. laughable

(get the thermapen)

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 602
    I have put a lot of research time in this one and I feel a thermapen would be your best solution. =))

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 563

I would get the best Thermapen...the BGE color!

·
  • NewbbqerNewbbqer Posts: 78
    Thermapen It is the best!
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,414
    My purple Thermapen was pretty fast, then TCU joined the Big 12 and it got even faster due to better competition.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 487
    I have the BGE one and serves my purpose very well.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,096
    dudes- you can not get any faster than flames. Seriously. You people need to get real. Orange? ridiculous. Next @brownie is going to show up out of the blue with his green one. laughable

(get the thermapen)

You can't get faster than the flames!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • mhoutmanmhoutman Posts: 39
    edited April 2013
    Thermapen. Just a reminder they will issue a Thermapen with backlit very soon :)

Also on eBay you can buy refurbished Thermapens from the manufacturer (ETI UK) with warranty and as new. I bought a black one which is known for warp speed ;)
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Mini and Large
    ·
  • thanks, sounds like thermapen is the way to go. My wife is already giving me flack about the price...that's alright i'll make it happen.
    ·
  • Just tell her its for her safety,  there's is nothing more important than keeping her safe from bad things from under cooked food.  This is just a safety thing, you know like a seat belt in a car? Or just be like me and pretend like you have had it for awhile, "oh  this old thing?" You know It happens to us,  just look in the closet.  :-O
    ·
  • thanks, sounds like thermapen is the way to go. My wife is already giving me flack about the price...that's alright i'll make it happen.
    If she cooks at all, she will use it as much as you. We use ours almost every day

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    Just ordered the British Racing green , that has to be the fastest since its got  RACING  in its name 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,016
    No love for the yellow thermapen. It will blow the doors off of the others!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • bigphil said:
    Just ordered the British Racing green , that has to be the fastest since its got  RACING  in its name 

+12345 Thermapen in British Racing green!!!!! You will love it and its the closest color match to the BGE

Claremont, CA - XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

·
  • mhoutman said:
    Thermapen. Just a reminder they will issue a Thermapen with backlit very soon :) Also on eBay you can buy refurbished Thermapens from the manufacturer (ETI UK) with warranty and as new. I bought a black one which is known for warp speed ;)

I'm really happy I bought the black one then!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    ·
  • I am thinking of getting the iGrill double probe system as it will also help me for long cooks
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    The orange Thermapen is most definitely the fastest! :)  Don't make the mistake that I did and buy one of the silicone skins and put it on the orange...it turns it a dull pink....

In all seriousness, I do like the silicone skin.  I need the Thermapen to last!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·