Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR coming

Ordered the ar customer combo the end of last week and I checked and should have friday. Pretty excited, what do you think would be a good first cook for it. Have to show SWMBO whag it can do and that it was worth it.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Woo hoo!!! Load er up!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Spatchcock a chicken or just do chicken parts!! Besides the Thermapen best investment I ever made for cooking.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited April 2013
    Throw som ribs on that puppy. Nice buy, you won't regret it...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    It will make you an outstanding chicken cook as well as fish cook. My vote would be spatchcocked chicken or turbo ribs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hands down...RIBS!!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just my $.02, but I would try to show off by cooking an entire meal on the egg.  One easy way is chicken over a pan of veggies.  

Check out this recipe:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just my $.02, but I would try to show off by cooking an entire meal on the egg.  One easy way is chicken over a pan of veggies.  

Check out this recipe:

oh yeah. I have done a similar cook and it is great. The juice from the chicken drips into the veggies and it is amazing. Good call.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540

I think I am going to try this one. Sounds good and it will show her it was a good buy.

Thanks everyone.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    With the addition of cooking on a second level I am with @SmokeyPitt and like to do everything at the same time. Burgers and Sweetpotato fries are a favorite of mine. "The chicken" is on my list of things to try but I haven't gotten to it yet. 

I don't have a AR but I imagine it can be done. how about a two tier pizza party. Start it low and get the crust right and finish it high to get the toppings perfect. I have recently gone this route with my swing rack and it is the best pizza ever. 

Coming up with cooks to load up two levels is fun. You are going to love the extra room you get. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Pizza or wings. Both benefit from being way up in the dome

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• This!image

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What is this going to cost me for a large egg?
  • Charlie tuna
    Thanks for the link-- but the question I have is the photo has three cooking grids or levels, the thing just sets on the gasket level cooking grid and it has two cooking grids included? I don'have to buy extra grids?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Unless you wan't to smoke a lot of fish fillets or do jerky two is fine.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    The question is do you want the sliding d grid or oval....each has advantages.I for one cannot decide.Doesn't seem to be many sliding d's around as ovals???
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Thanks for the link-- but the question I have is the photo has three cooking grids or levels, the thing just sets on the gasket level cooking grid and it has two cooking grids included? I don'have to buy extra grids?
    The photo shows the XL AR sitting on top of the BGE plate setter with the stock grid and two extra grid levels. I dont think you can do that with the Large AR. I'm sure there are other configurations that allows to cook at the gasket level for the Large with two or three levels. The website link allows you to select different combo packages to meet your needs. I would call them so they can recommend what package to buy based off your cooking needs.

• The question is do you want the sliding d grid or oval....each has advantages.I for one cannot decide.Doesn't seem to be many sliding d's around as ovals???
    I can't speak for the Large AR, but I went with two ovals so I could rotate them from the top of the XL AR and mid level (sliding guide) without messing with the food. The Large AR should allow for this feature.

• Charlie tuna
    The only advantage I would gain with the AR is not having to deal with the center post in my three teired grid, and I am assuming the grills slide out to access the food on them! I will have to check it out with Tom..
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    The question is do you want the sliding d grid or oval....each has advantages.I for one cannot decide.Doesn't seem to be many sliding d's around as ovals???
    I can't speak for the Large AR, but I went with two ovals so I could rotate them from the top of the XL AR and mid level (sliding guide) without messing with the food. The Large AR should allow for this feature.
    I think you can actually do this on a large with the right configuration (check the bottom of this page):

*Note: I think the difference is with a large you have to pull the rig out of the egg to access the lowest level because it is slightly below the felt line. With the XL- you are at the felt line.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @charlie tuna

Tom is awesome call or email him what you wanna do and he will make it happen. I can only see that center post being amazingly annoying and no comparison to the AR

XLBGE