Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling with lid open question

Options
Is it possible to grill on the egg with the lid open? It seems like any time I leave the lid open for too long I have a raging inferno on my hands. Will lump coal ever ash over and just provide heat with no flames?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    It may be possible but there really isn't any benefit to using the Egg that way. It's the same as cooking over an open fire or any cheap charcoal grill.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I will sear steaks (Trex method) with the dome open but that's about it.  Finish with the dome shut.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I do it all the time when I am doing stir fries, paellas or items in the Dutch oven. What I do is preheat the egg to around the temperature I hope to be grilling at. When I pop the lid open, I dial down the lower draft door settings. The amount I close the lower draft door depends upon the cooking temperature I'm shooting for on the open grate. When I do stir fries at 600 to 650°, I stabilize the Egg at 600 or 650. Then I open the lid and I close the draft door down to about half of the current amount. When I'm cooking around 350 or 400 on the Dutch oven or to make a paella, I stabilize the egg about 50° lower than my desired cooking temperature. When I open the lid I close the lower draft door almost all the way down, just leaving it open a crack. It takes a little practice to get the exact settings down, but once you've done it a few times you should have it right on.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Grilling is done best with the dome closed. The egg is essentially a big starter chimney, if the bottom vent is open fully, and the top off, it will get very hot, with the dome up or down. The blast furnace effect is huge with the lid down. 
    The old saying is if you're looking you're not cooking. I've never seen lump ash over unless it is a low and slow, very restricted air. 
    Most grilling is done at 450-550F, a temp the egg will hold very well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Deep fat frying is the only time I cook with the lid open.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.