Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monkey see, Monkey do ... Bacon question

Options
Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
Alright, so with all this bacon talk, I'm trying my hand at it too. I've been reading like crazy on and off this form, and would like some clarification. I have a 5.5lb belly with the skin on and want to do a dry cure. One problem I have is I can't get my hands on pink curing salt right now. My butcher gave me a bit of the curing salt he uses though. It should also be noted I'm going to do a hot smoke.

Does this cure make sense for 5.5lbs?
Kosher salt: 69.25g (2.45oz)
Curing salt: 6.25g (0.22oz)

Also, how much maple syrup, and should I remove the skin before or after smoking? Seems like after is easier.

Thanks in advance.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Check out this cure calculator which should give you the amount you need...

http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Handy Universal Cure Calculator
    Weight of Meat in Grams... grams
    Cure #1 % Nitrite... %
    Salt % Desired... %
    Sugar % Desired... %
    Parts Per Million (PPM) Nitrite...
    Cure #1 Needed... grams
    Salt Needed... grams
    Sugar Needed... grams
    Total grams

Based on the calculator you've got the cure amount right and looks like you are going >2% salt.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    Also Ruhlman (Charcuterie) says 1/4 cup Maple Syrup for about 5 lbs... I usually put about 1 oz with every 800-1kg cut of belly. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Greeno55
    Options
    Thanks. Do you prefer to use the maple syrup while its curing, or just brush on while it's smoking?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    Thanks. Do you prefer to use the maple syrup while its curing, or just brush on while it's smoking?
    while it's curing

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Preference when to take skin off?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I cold smoke mine and have been taking it off after the smoke. May take it off before this time to see if it helps let smoke penetrate the bacon a little more. Anyone take it off before?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    Options
    I always take mine after I smoke it. Honestly though I am not sure why I do it this way other than, I just do it this way. :)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I remove before, par freeze and take time it's a hassle the first time. I use the skin to make chicharones. I feel I get a great smoke skin off. It works either way, I have never done maple syrup yet but I got maple chips for my next go around to give it a shot.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I remove before, par freeze and take time it's a hassle the first time. I use the skin to make chicharones. I feel I get a great smoke skin off. It works either way, I have never done maple syrup yet but I got maple chips for my next go around to give it a shot.
    The maple batch from Charcuterie is my favorite so far. I have been leaving skin on to protect from too much smoke, but have ended up not getting enough. So, I can either smoke longer or remove skin before the smoke this time. Decisions, decisions.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I take skin off before on cold smoke, after on hot smoke (and I never hot smoke anymore)

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I take skin off after cure before smoke.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Greeno55
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the info, and for all the tips in this thread and the others. I decided to try skinless for this first one. Pretty excited. Hoping to smoke them next weekend.
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Good looking belly, gonna be "the best" bacon ever for ya!
  • lblanke
    lblanke Posts: 8
    Options
    so what's the consensus - cold or hot smoke the bacon?  i can't believe there is such a divided camp on this. i don't understand why you would cook the bacon twice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lblanke said:
    so what's the consensus - cold or hot smoke the bacon?  i can't believe there is such a divided camp on this. i don't understand why you would cook the bacon twice.
    there is no need for consensus. If you want regular bacon, you cold smoke it. Otherwise you are cooking it twice as you said. It's not bad, but it's not the bacon you are used to. Much more firm and chewy if you hot smoke then pan fry or bake.
  • lblanke
    lblanke Posts: 8
    Options
    that's what i figured.  thanks for the feedback. 
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Ok Cent-Tex, you've convinced me to try one belly cold smoked instead of both hot. This'll be my preference experiment. I'm using an AMSPS in a cleaned out Egg. Temps are supposed to be in high 40s to low 50s next weekend. You think I can just let the pellet smoker go, or would I need to through an ice water tub in there? What's the upper temperature limit?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Last batch I did was 45 ambient and egg never got over 67 degrees
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I have 16lbs forming pellicle right now. Will smoke tonight or in morning.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    @Chubbs, that's awesome. I'm still a week away from getting them in some smoke.
  • double
    Options
    @Chubbs do you just have bacon continuously curing? You always seem to have it on the go.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    Ok Cent-Tex, you've convinced me to try one belly cold smoked instead of both hot. This'll be my preference experiment. I'm using an AMSPS in a cleaned out Egg. Temps are supposed to be in high 40s to low 50s next weekend. You think I can just let the pellet smoker go, or would I need to through an ice water tub in there? What's the upper temperature limit?
    just let if go. It won't raise the temps hardly at all with those ambient temps. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I have 16lbs forming pellicle right now. Will smoke tonight or in morning.
    just came home with a 12 lb belly. going in the cure in the am

• Chubbs
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @Centex I just pulled mine from the egg. Kind if concerned. Went out there after 6 hours and the egg temp was 120. Got incredible smoke coloring but it was a little warm to the touch and flimsy. I pulled them and put them in fridge. Think still okay?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Forgot pic
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @Centex I just pulled mine from the egg. Kind if concerned. Went out there after 6 hours and the egg temp was 120. Got incredible smoke coloring but it was a little warm to the touch and flimsy. I pulled them and put them in fridge. Think still okay?
    you ever hot smoke? thats almost what you did.  any idea how it got so warm on you?

• double
    Options
    My concern would be that's danger zone territory depending on how long it was sat at 120... Although not sure how much it being cured changes things. Interested to see what @nolaegghead and @centex think
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I heated the AMS in 300 oven for 20 minutes. It is in 70's outside and I lit AMS on both sides for more smoke. So you think it is fine?
  • double
    Options
    Have you cut a piece and fried it up? I personally would be suspect and doing exactly what you are doing asking the forum! Sorry not much help but interested in the response. I wish it was 70 here! Cold and wet urgh
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    edited April 2013
    Options
    double said:

Have you cut a piece and fried it up? I personally would be suspect and doing exactly what you are doing asking the forum! Sorry not much help but interested in the response. I wish it was 70 here! Cold and wet urgh

Haven't done that. I usually let it mellow in fridge for a day or two before I slice it up. Figured I would let it chill in there until I got some guidance. This batch was in the cure for 9 days. Not that it matters that much. Just thought I would throw that out there. I have never hot smoked and I am assuming the IT temp of the bacon is no where near 150