Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Kamado (Egg) Restoration Project

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,222
    You are off to an incredible start. Looks great. You should start a Christmas Egg Fest
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Looks great, and yes, the project will develop character as your finish it.  I am enjoying reading about your progress.

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • Looking good Mr Ortiz....I'm expecting a SF Giants logo to appear anytime now.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • I think it is funny that I am an Oakland A's fan but I always build things in SF Giants colors. I like to follow both teams though so I guess it isn't so bad haha.. Orange and Black is just such a great color combo.
    ·
  • Sad to report that I have come across my first big set back...

The medium band is way too small for this Kamado. I was surprised at just how far off it is. I did a quick measurement and it looks like the outer width of this Kamado is only 1 inch less than my Large BGE. Should have measured things out first.

A large band might work but it would most likely be tightened down completely. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    a welding shop can fix/ make anything you need
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    I had a welder cut off about 2-3 inches on each side of a large band to fit my #4 kamado.
    ·
  • deekortiz3deekortiz3 Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    Trying to decide if I should try to extend this one with some kind of   |_________|   shaped bracket or shorten a large one.
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    Imoo, I would use the large bands, heat with the torch to make new bends then drill new holes and cut off the excess. This is looking good, keep posting the pics !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    This whole process is awesome, and I'm enjoying the updates.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • After about two hours of Duck Dynasty this evening I felt I had done enough preparation to modify a set of large bands I picked up to fit. :)

I bent the band so I could use the existing hole that would be used for egg shelves and just ream it out into a square.

I cut off the excess, grinded it down and sprayed the end with some semi-gloss BBQ paint and am letting that dry. While waiting the rain decided to start falling so I will hold off until tomorrow before installing.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks great, what a fun project!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    i need to find me one of these without the wife knowing!  it looks great!
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,222
    Really cool
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 283
    sense of satisfaction from a job well done. Way to breathe life back into it. kudos
    ·
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 335
    A co-worker of mine is getting an Imperial Kamado that needs restoration from a friend of his.. I've already shown him this thread, but I'll have to show him your finished product!  Great work!
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,941
    I'm trying to figure out what rock i have been living under to have missed this awesome thread. I love bbq-related  restoration project! Its been exciting to read and catch up with your project!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • tech284tech284 Posts: 34
    Man that looks great !
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,404
    Awesomeness!!!
    ·
  • Very impressive!!! Congrats.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Very Nice! If there was a Barrett Jackson of restored grills that unit would command a very nice bid.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Very well done! =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    TUTTLE871 said:

Very Nice! If there was a Barrett Jackson of restored grills that unit would command a very nice bid.

Is that similar to Ashley Madison?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • michegginmicheggin Posts: 31
    a few pics of my kamado project.  neighbor just wanted to get rid of it, said his wife brought it home from a garage sale and he was happy to help me load it in the truck, free.  it was also pretty beat up with broken internal parts so i replaced them with sm.bge parts but the nest/stand is from a med.bge.  

not sure if these pics will post but i'll try.  will share more later.

imageimageimageimage
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,447
    Is that similar to Ashley Madison?
    Does your wife know that you know what Ashley Madison is?  Just curious. :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,941
    @micheggin - you've put your kamado to work! Good to see that there is still a lot of life left in that baby.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273

Looks great, enjoy it!

·