Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Home-Curing and Cold Smoking (pics)

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Had a fresh 12.8lb bone in ham shank that I wanted to cure. After consulting some folks here, I went with a simple wet cure recipe from Charcuterie. Ham is submerged in the cure in the fridge and will take a look in a week. The pic of the fridge you can see a few pork bellies about to come out of the cure too. Topped the day off with smoking some cheddar, gouda, and mozzarella with cherry smoke in the AMS for 3 hours. Great day, but will have to wait to reap the benefits... Thanks for looking....
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Forgot to mention my setup this time for the AMS. Had a ton of good lump in the egg and didnt want to remove it then replace it. I use a high que grate because my charcoal grate folded. I talked my brother into getting a high que when he got his last egg and he gave me the stock charcoal grate. I placed that on top of the old lump and set the AMS unit on top of that. Worked great, but only drawback was the flame was a little too close to the cheese-- I got a dark spot on a piece of the gouda. Worked well though.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    awesome man, i took a hiatus from curing (work has really been getting in the way lately) you reinspired me, i'm gonna go snag up about 20 lbs of belly on wed.  time for me to hit up some pancetta before it gets to hot (been mid 80s the last 2 weeks) and we need to restock on bacon.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks good, Chubbs.  I have quit home curing meat, but I really like the smoked cheese I've done.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    U_tarded said:

awesome man, i took a hiatus from curing (work has really been getting in the way lately) you reinspired me, i'm gonna go snag up about 20 lbs of belly on wed.  time for me to hit up some pancetta before it gets to hot (been mid 80s the last 2 weeks) and we need to restock on bacon.

Yeah, you can never have too much if the bacon. It goes fast around here. Especially when you have a bunch of freeloading friends. I am really getting into curing meats. A cool hobby and fun to learn about the science of meat.
  • Chubbs

Looks good, Chubbs.  I have quit home curing meat, but I really like the smoked cheese I've done.

Thanks VI. Curing is definitely not for everyone. Like Sous vide I guess- I dot think that is for me. This is my first go at smoked cheese. How long you think I should let it mellow in food saver packs?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks VI. Curing is definitely not for everyone. Like Sous vide I guess- I dot think that is for me. This is my first go at smoked cheese. How long you think I should let it mellow in food saver packs?
    I've forgotten what I read, Chubbs, but it seems 2-3 weeks rings a bell.  I've had mine in much longer than that now.  We put some shredded cheddar on some tacos last week, and the slight smokey taste really added to it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You've been busy, Chubbs. Looks like you are in store for some wonderful food. Can't wait to see the final products.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "Gouda" hand it to ya Chubbs, you've been busy.   Your projects look fun - reminds me I have to stuff 30 pounds of sausage tonight.
    Griffin said:
    You've been busy, Chubbs. Looks like you are in store for some wonderful food. Can't wait to see the final products.
    Yes, I have been. I need to start posting more pics of my cooks but my camera sucks so bad. It is frustrating. I am going to take a large protion of the ham to my buddies house to slice for sammies after it is cooked/smoked. A slicer is too far down on my list of things to buy for me to own one right now. Maybe one day.
  • Chubbs
    Alright, today is the 9th day in the cure for this batch of bacon. Going to pull it today, rinse it, then throw it in the fridge for pellicle to form. Question is, if I want to smoke it on Saturday, is it fine to sit in the fridge for a day or two uncovered, or should I just leave it in the cure until Friday and then smoke on Saturday. Trying to avoid overly salty bacon. Guess I can just let it soak in water when I pull it Friday.