Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings

2»

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Printed, scanned, and on the droid tablet.  Can't wait to try these.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    HOLY S#^T!!! These are unreal. Made them tonight in anticipation of the Blue Jays opening day and they are gone well before first pitch. I decided to go against the grain and use fresh parm. I had a nice chunk in the fridge and grated it with my zester to get it nice nd fine, and it melted amazingly in the sauce. Also went raised direct. Can't get over how crispy the skin was. Great recipe Griff. Go Jays!!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Would these turn out ok without a raised grid? 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    For sure. Griffins original recipe was cooked indirect. You could go direct, but unless you find a way to raise it slightly, with the use of fire bricks or something, that fat in chicken wings can cause some flare ups.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    i gotta try these wings they look tasty
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Yep, raised direct, and corn starched, always. In fact another 2 packs of wings from Costco are being defrosted for tomorrow.

Never had it with Parm. So Griff, is it just parm and no rub? God! These threads get so long and I am too old, I cant remember what the OP was anymore. :) Or, do I blame the Double Oak?  :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013

Griifin, OK got it. Sorry!

The baking powder part:

Baking powder is a combination of Sodium Bicarb and corn starch.

Baking "soda" is just Sodium Bicarb. only, which is a "rising" agent in cooking/baking.

Starch is what "crisps" things up in the baking powder. The soda is the leavening agent.

Just do corn starch for wings. And have low sodium. Makes the wings..... heart healthy.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    newby84 said:
    Would these turn out ok without a raised grid? 

Sure. I just went indirect because i was cooking them on the MINI and the grate (even with a WOO) is a lot closer to the lump. I was worried that all the fat would cause flare ups and burn them. I would go raised grid in a large if that was what I was using.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Welp, I too gave these a shot. Followed the recipe for the most part. Rubbed wings with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and salt. I used the parm from the shaker can and crushed two entire bulbs of fresh garlic along with two sticks butter for the sauce. The baking powder really helped crisp the wings up. They were delicious. Thanks Griffin Pics:
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Griffin   I do cook  direct whole chicken and wings on the Mini (with Woo).. You JUST HAVE to keep so much closer eye on them and have your adult beverage pre made  (or two ).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks phantastic, Grif! I always coat my wings in the baking powder before placing on the rub. Never tried mixing it together like that before. Not sure if there would be any difference.
    Based on one of your old posts, I used corn starch. Found it is easier to mix with the rub and then toss the whole works at once, much like @LTAFlynEgg said. The crispness is determined by the rub to starch ratio. Crispness varies from rub to rub probably based on the starch fillers already in the rub (just a guess on my part).  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Looks great @JerkChicken. Glad they worked out for you.

@Mickey - I'm lazy. Sounds like too much work. ;)

Sounds like corn starch or bakind powder would probably work.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Skiddy is right. I looked this up once after wondering why baking powder or cornstarch was used to "crisp" things. I had only know them as leaveners and thickeners respectively.

Cornstarch is added to many things as filler(like baking powder) It is intended to be an inert ingredient in baking powder(active stuff is the weak acid and weak base - bicarb and tartaric acid). Cornstarch is just there for bulk and to absorb moisture to make BP shelf stable. An unintended benefit is the crisping factor. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I did some the other night... awesome.  no pics,  I'm sick with a sinus cold and feel like $@&. I really just cooked for the family.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • i just tried cornstarch last week on wings and yeah wow, i have been missing out. 
    the best crispy wings i have ever had. 
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    edited February 2015
    I cooked Griffen's garlic parmesan wings last year for our Super Bowl party and they were a hit.  

My wife demanded that I cook them again for today's SB party. After an exhaustive search online, I found his site (https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/garlic-parmesan-chicken-wings/) and printed out the recipe.

These are the best garlic parm wings I've had.