Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting My Egg

I cannot get this think over 300 degrees. It really runs between 250 and 300.

Totally clean, new lump coal; what the heck????????????

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    What size egg?
    You say totally clean, you cleaned out inside? Did it get hotter prior? Vent open?
    And does fire look like 'lava'? If so have you calibrated thermo?
    Boom
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What FOFB said. Also, is your firebox oriented with the opening to the front?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

What FOFB said. Also, is your firebox oriented with the opening to the front?

Great point. I learned hard way on that one once
    Boom
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    to much small lump?

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    How are you lighting?  Vent settings?  How much lump?  What brand lump?  Temp probe calibrated?  Lots of reasons for not getting up to temp but most likely is air flow.  If lump is filled up to fire ring, lit properly with no clogged holes, vents open, you should be up to high temps in about 20 minutes.  If you really can't get it above 300 do a pork butt. 
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Forgive the last comment about doing a pork butt.  Really want to help, but the alcohol is talking.  All the other questions are appropriate.  Clean Egg with new lump should have no issue reaching temp.  
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    What size is your Egg?  Many small egg owners have reported the same problem (while others have not).  It seems to be a problem with airflow (The lower vent is the same size as the one on the mini).  If you do have a small egg, the Hi Que http://www.high-que.com/High-Heat-Firegrates_c_8.html fire grate will help.  Use the grate intended for the medium... It will sit a little higher in the firebox but not enough higher to significantly affect charcoal capacity.  I have a friend with a small egg and the change made a noticable difference in the temps. he was able to achieve. I have a large (which never had a problem) but I tried the Hi Que grate and now I have a forge!  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Dallas said:
    I cannot get this think over 300 degrees. It really runs between 250 and 300. Totally clean, new lump coal; what the heck????????????

I had that problem one time trying to impress friends with a pizza cook - very frustrating.  Since then I have always made sure that I clear a little space around at least one of the holes in the charcoal grate to ensure good air flow through the egg.  I have never had that problem again.  I think I had poured a whole bag of lump in - incuding all the small stuff and dust from the bottom of the bag and clogged the grate holes - at least enough of them to reduce air flow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Make a wiggle rod.  Go to the hardware store or home depot and get a steel rod then bend an L on the end (about 2 inches or so).   If you are having trouble getting the fire rolling, put the rod through the bottom draft door and poke up through the holes in the grate and wiggle (repeat in several places). 
    and/or...get one of these:

You really don't need the wiggle rod as often with the high-queu, but it is still handy.  I do sometimes use it even with the high-Q grate if the fire seems choked out.  Wiggle rod is also handy to reach through the cooking grid to redistribute burning lump or to nudge a chunk toward the fire. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    How are you lighting?  Vent settings?  How much lump?  What brand lump?  Temp probe calibrated?  Lots of reasons for not getting up to temp but most likely is air flow.  If lump is filled up to fire ring, lit properly with no clogged holes, vents open, you should be up to high temps in about 20 minutes.  If you really can't get it above 300 do a pork butt. 
    TJ - good advice, no need to apologize, sometimes we all have to play with the cards we have. I'm sure this comment was taken with the intended humour in which it was given.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TangoT2
    TangoT2 Posts: 12
    Foghorn said:
    Dallas said:
    I cannot get this think over 300 degrees. It really runs between 250 and 300. Totally clean, new lump coal; what the heck????????????

I had that problem one time trying to impress friends with a pizza cook - very frustrating.  Since then I have always made sure that I clear a little space around at least one of the holes in the charcoal grate to ensure good air flow through the egg.  I have never had that problem again.  I think I had poured a whole bag of lump in - incuding all the small stuff and dust from the bottom of the bag and clogged the grate holes - at least enough of them to reduce air flow.
    I had the same problem.  Large BGE just would not get up to the 500 I wanted.  I didn't use the plate setter.  I had the lifter on the grill and the pizza stone.   After much scoffing from my buddies, I put a flattened V rack under the pizza stone which lifted it about 1/2 inch.  Egg zoomed to 550 in minutes.  There was not enough air flow around the pizza platter.  Lifting the platter did the trick.  I'll know next time.

TangoT2

><(((°> ><(((°> <x)))>< ><(((°>

Only dead fish go with the flow.