Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: need help preparing this "heavy" cut

So I decided I wanted to do a brisket Sunday... At my local restaurant supply store I found what looked like a nice cut but it is my first time and I am not sure how to trim the meat. It is a 13 lb cut labeled as "Brisket - Heavy." I could not find a "packer" cut or a "flat" cut, both names I recognize from my research. But this cut looks like it has both the flat and the point. 

Here are pictures:

The unpictured side looks just like the "fat cap" pics I have seen on packer cuts. 

I think I just want to trim the fat down to around 1/8" all around ... unless a "heavy" cut is a completely different beast?

Thanks for any advice you can offer for my first brisket cool!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That, sir, is a packer brisket. And Angus too. 

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    You can YouTube "BBQ with Franklin...The Brisket". He shows you step by step how to trim.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    + 1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Thanks everyone! Just what I needed to hear. :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013
    this happened yesterday. may be of some help for prep

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • horseflesh
    That was a good thread!

My cut is trimmed and rubbed and in the fridge. I'm starting early in the morning and it's done when it's done. 

I am out of my pork shoulder comfort zone but I reckon as long as I don't burn it to a cinder, something good will happen.

• horseflesh
    BTW, my brisket came out perfectly fine. The flat COULD have been more moist, I guess, but really no complaints. I used a rub from Thirdeye's page and was quite happy with the flavor. The whole point got turned into burnt ends, and they are darn tasty!
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196

Mmmmm...burnt ends! My favorite thing to do with ANY cut of meat is to cube it, sauce it, return to smoke and call it "_______ burnt ends."

(BTW - the best compliments I've gotten when cooking brisket are doing it the Travis way.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @horseflesh: rock on! Any pics of the meat fest?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • horseflesh
    No pics, I was too hungry during the most photogenic cutting board stage. :)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 

=))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Watch the Franklin video.  It's informative, entertaining and he IS the acknowledged master of the brisket.  (He wraps in butcher paper instead of foil to preserve the bark).