Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vitamix users?? How do you use your vitamix for your BGE cooks?

Options
I have a vitamix blender with the optional dry blender for breads and such.  Is there anyone out there that has a vitamin that you use in conjunction with your BGE cooks?  Any sauce recipes or pizza dough suggestions?  I have hardly used my vitamix.  It has been sitting on the counter for about a year.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I used it to make a jerk seasoning... it comes out like a paste. Recipe was from a Raichlen book--very tasty, would make again, but I'd shoot for half the heat.

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    We just got a Vitamix a couple months ago. We don't really use it for the egg. We do use it to make almond butter, coconut milk, smoothies, healthy ice creams, etc.
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    I used it to make a jerk seasoning... it comes out like a paste. Recipe was from a Raichlen book--very tasty, would make again, but I'd shoot for half the heat.

What did you use the jerk seasoning on?
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    We just got a Vitamix a couple months ago. We don't really use it for the egg. We do use it to make almond butter, coconut milk, smoothies, healthy ice creams, etc.
    I originally got the vitamix to make smoothies, but I just haven't made any for quite a while.  There are a lot of people out there that swear by the vitamix.  
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have a blendtec and use it every single day. I make a smoothie for breakfast. I make baby food for my son. The only egg food I've made is gravy.

It was the mad max turkey gravy. Basically, simmer veggies all day then blend.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    We have had one for almost a year. I have not used it for anything on the egg yet, but we do use it two out of three days for smoothies or something else. I have made spaghetti sauce from whole tomatoes and it works great. Like three minutes and a few ingredients and you have fresh sauce. If you make a shake add a little avocado and it makes it very creamy. Also we add spinich to a lot of stuff now as it blends up and the kids can't even taste it. Another thing I made one Saturday for breakfast was "green scrambled eggs" not sure why the kids did not want to eat them. I told them I would change my name to Sam I am. I blended a handful of spinach and the eggs. I have found there is not much you can't put in the thing and have something good come out.

PS don't add a tomato to a fruit based shake. It will set up and curdle before you can say stop. Good luck.
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    We have had one for almost a year. I have not used it for anything on the egg yet, but we do use it two out of three days for smoothies or something else. I have made spaghetti sauce from whole tomatoes and it works great. Like three minutes and a few ingredients and you have fresh sauce. If you make a shake add a little avocado and it makes it very creamy. Also we add spinich to a lot of stuff now as it blends up and the kids can't even taste it. Another thing I made one Saturday for breakfast was "green scrambled eggs" not sure why the kids did not want to eat them. I told them I would change my name to Sam I am. I blended a handful of spinach and the eggs. I have found there is not much you can't put in the thing and have something good come out. PS don't add a tomato to a fruit based shake. It will set up and curdle before you can say stop. Good luck.
    I tried the green smoothie diet for about a week.  I did not like the greens at all in the smoothies.  I felt nauseous all day after drinking them.  Do you have any good regular fruit smoothie recipes?
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Vitamix is awesome but haven't yet tried it with the egg - good question, though, I've been thinking about the same thing. We mostly do green drinks, smoothies, and guacamole. Do you have the binder with all the recipes that comes with the Vitamix? If so, lots of good smoothie recipes in there, and pretty easy to make up your own (fresh/frozen fruit, milk, sugar, and can disguise some greens in there as well). How do you like the dry blade? Have been thinking about getting that for flour and dough.
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    ddegger said:
    Vitamix is awesome but haven't yet tried it with the egg - good question, though, I've been thinking about the same thing. We mostly do green drinks, smoothies, and guacamole. Do you have the binder with all the recipes that comes with the Vitamix? If so, lots of good smoothie recipes in there, and pretty easy to make up your own (fresh/frozen fruit, milk, sugar, and can disguise some greens in there as well). How do you like the dry blade? Have been thinking about getting that for flour and dough.
    I have not used the dry blade as of yet.  I am hoping that it will become useful in making doughs for pizzas.  I will post an update when I try it out.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have a Blendtec, not too different from a Vitamix. Mostly use it for instant soups, quick ice cream, a few times making meat patés, nut butters..

Did use it recently for an Egg'd meal. Came across a recipe for nut kofta skewers (generic middle eastern term for ball, as in meat ball.) I have a daughter and a daughter in law who are vegetarians, and am always noting things that I might Egg when they come around.

I blended a bunch of pistachios and toasted hazelnuts w. pinto beans, peanut butter, curry, garlic and bread crumbs. Tasted great raw. Formed balls, and put on a screen, raised, direct, about 300F. When 1 side was browned, I tried flipping the skewers, but the balls fell to pieces, an mostly fell into the lump. Tried some more as patties, and had the same results. Unfortunately, the bits of patties I rescued were browned, but did not taste as good as the raw mix. More just browned as in burnt.

I'm going to try again, but will add some almond and chickpea flour, some extra oil, and see if I can get them to hold together.

Otherwise, the only Egg specific use I've had for the blender was quick purees of onions and garlic and dried tomatoes to make sauce to spread over meats.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    I have used mine to make romesco sauce; it worked very well. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin