Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You Can't Win 'Em All

2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited April 2013
    <P>Get your dough ready, spread on a thin layer of Alfredo sauce, grate some fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind that comes in a ball), sprinkle on some crumbled bacon, some grape tomatoes cut in half and some pre-cooked shrimp, think they were the 71-and up count. I wanted bite sized. Then sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and cook it better than I did.</P>
    <P>I haven't fully tweaked the recipe yet and got it perfected. There are a few things I want to add/change, but thats the basics.</P>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Didn't really have much of a recipe. Used this for the dough, just dumped it in a breadmaker and hit the dough cycle (mine takes 90 minutes to complete):

1-1/2 cups warm water
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp kosher salt
    3-3/4 cups bread flour
    1/2 cup corn meal
    2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp rapid rise yeast
    I did add 1 tsp of Italian seasoning to it that was not called for.
    What kind of cheese did you use, and did you use alfreado sauce?  If so, what kind?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Griffin
    The mozzarella was the fresh kind, not a block and not pre-shredded. Usually comes in a ball. The afredo sauce was Buitoni because we had it on hand, I was lazy and Mrs. G usually is in charge of sauces and she is out of town. Still pretty decent, although I am sure home made would be better if you can manage that.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin, thank you for your input.  I think that I will try this as my first pizza on an egg.  

• @VI - I'll just chock that faux pas up to using the early implementations of pi found on an ancient Babylon tablet that had it at 28/5th, or 3.125.   Close 'nuff for guvment work.
    This is true.  I work for the guvment and we're morons.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I've never used corn meal in my dough.  How does that add to the taste/texture of the dough?  thanks.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin  You kind of lost this thred for a while, nice save.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    @VI - I'll just chock that faux pas up to using the early implementations of pi found on an ancient Babylon tablet that had it at 28/5th, or 3.125.   Close 'nuff for guvment work.
    This is true.  I work for the guvment and we're morons.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    I've never used corn meal in my dough.  How does that add to the taste/texture of the dough?  thanks.

Taste wise, it doesn't jump out at you. I don't think you would notice it unless somebody mentioned it or it was right next to one without. You can kind of feel it as you are working the dough, not as silky smooth feeling as 100% flour would be. You see that it has a light airy texture by looking at all those air pockets in that last picture. I'm by no means a dough/bread expert, however. I just follow where others have gone before.

Rowlett, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @firemedic183 - I have a MBGE. Griff's dough will be a touch too much I think to get a 12" pie, unless you like a really thick crust. I have a similar recipe, but scale back to 2 1/2 cups of flour fits nicely on my 13.5" stone. For Griff's recipe the scaled quantities would be something like:
    1 cup warm water 
    4 tsp olive oil 
    1 1/3 tsp kosher salt 
    2 1/2 cups bread flour 
    1/3 cup corn meal 
    1 1/3 tsp sugar 
    1 1/3 tsp rapid rise yeast 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Reach out to Vidalia1 when he's around. He can't cook to save his life but his lovely bride does fantastic pies on the mini.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @firemedic183 - I have a MBGE. Griff's dough will be a touch too much I think to get a 12" pie, unless you like a really thick crust. I have a similar recipe, but scale back to 2 1/2 cups of flour fits nicely on my 13.5" stone. For Griff's recipe the scaled quantities would be something like:
    1 cup warm water 
    4 tsp olive oil 
    1 1/3 tsp kosher salt 
    2 1/2 cups bread flour 
    1/3 cup corn meal 
    1 1/3 tsp sugar 
    1 1/3 tsp rapid rise yeast 

Thank you!!  I am sure that this will help immensely!!  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Nice! At least he comes full circle.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Car pimp here, you boys and girls want to bring it back home 8-}
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.