Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Chicken Breasts Help...

Today I'm gonna do some pesto/mozzarella stuffed chicken breasts.  Made them before in the oven but wanna do it on the Egg.  What's the best setup for this on the Egg? Indirect, 350?   Should I butterfly the chicken and tie up or should I pound out and roll up and then tie up?

Large BGE

Comments

• Hi Eddie- All of your ideas are valid and will work just fine. 

If you are looking for a few other ideas, we do ours raised direct at 400 or so. You could do indirect as well but with really lean meats, I like to go direct and a little faster to keep them moist. We pound flat and just fold over. No rolling or tying. Of course bacon wrapped are alwasy good :) Here are some thighs we did wrapped at 400 raised direct:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Cool, I'll do direct then!   I just looked and I don't have bacon.  Perhaps I'll have the wifey pick some up, however, it all depends on when she's on her way home :)
    Large BGE

• I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook
    Was that wrapped with bacon or just folded over and they somehow stayed together?   
    Large BGE

• EddieK76 said:
    I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook
    Was that wrapped with bacon or just folded over and they somehow stayed together?   
    Those were actually meat glued. You might need to use a toothpick or 2 unless you have some meat glue lying around. I mean, who doesn't right? :))

We do a breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, basil, and feta that we just pound and fold. Works like a champ. 
  • the bacon was meat glued around a folded thigh. It held it all together
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I was waiting for the meat glue appearance-"truth in advertising" :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1 for pounding thin, rolling and cooking raised direct.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2013
    Looks great, Mickey! 

(you know you can get away with just 1 piece of string in a chain hitch - sorry, have to "mess" with ya!)  Here's how

@nolaegghead thank you. It is so much trouble to do the way I do it. Made a plastic covered copy that I can find. Thanks man,you are so much more than a handsome man ^:)^ image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey, happy to share the knowledge.  I actually learned that from Stike as he was describing how he was going to tie up Little Steven, I mean, a bresaola and hang it out to dry. ;)

Nola I like that. For some reason in a thread here today I was thining about him.. It just seems right with Steven trussed up for dinner

=))

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    And I liked it ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Are we approaching TMI here between meat glue and various bonding knots :)  Perhaps this thread has taken a turn down the dirt road-but if you can skip those posts-some good info :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.