Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did baby back ribs for the first time this weekend. Did them the 3-1-1.5 method. Although they were very good, they were not falling of the bone as I expected they would. Should I have left them in the foil for a longer period than the 1 hour? I did spray with apple juice before putting them in the foil. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    Chuter, did you remove the membrane? also what temperature did you cook them at? That should have been plenty for baby backs. Jim

• Chuter,
    I believe that the accepted thought on "fall off the bone" is that they shouldn't! A slight tug or pull with the teeth is, I believe, the accepted criterium.[p]I could be wrong. Was once before. Thought I'd made a mistake! ;~)[p]Pete

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sespe Pete,[p]That's the case for competition bbq ribs. However, the rule at home is cook 'em however you like 'em. I like them with a a little tug while the wife likes them fall off the bone. [p]We make them fall off the bone. [p]: )
  • Chuter,
    This is not my recipe but has been the one I have followed the last three cooks and I have been very happy with the results.
    Apply rub of your choice - I like dizzy pig dust - Dome temp at 225 - Meat side down for 45 minutes - turn and 45 minutes on other side. Wrap each in foil, place in foil pan and continue cook for 2 hours.
    When you take them off - they will be ready to go - apply sauce, heat 15 or twenty to warm the sauce, and serve.
    these will be fall off the bone done - and I like them that way also.
    Enjoy,
    Dan

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Chuter,[p]I would use the time stuff as a guide line. After you get to the time when you think they should be done, give 'em a pull test and if need be, let 'em cook a bit longer. [p]Rick
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    bigjim,
    In General, I agree - but this past weekend I had two racks of baby backs that went 7 hours (no foil) at 235 and STILL could have gone a little longer. These things were the thickest Baby Backs I have EVER seen. Yummmmm-O!

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    This last weekend I took the plunge on Sunday. You must know that for eighteen years I have been trying to cook ribs and never succeeded. It got to be joke around the house. A couplle of months ago I got the egg and waited until I felt real comfortable with the temp control. I got two racks of baby back ribs. Cut them in half and scraped off the membrane. I covered them with yellow mustard and rib rub. I put them on a vertical rib rack (left over from the Weber days) on a drip pan and on the plate setter in the egg. The temp was stable at 250 and let them go for 3 hours. Then took them in and wrap them in foil. I replaced the standing rib rack with the bge grill and gave them another hour. I took them out of the foil and put them on the grill (over the drip pan) and brushed them with a little Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. About 1 hour. ABSOLUTELY the BEST ribs my wife or I ever had. The previous receipe seems to be one of the standard rib receipes that are on most of the sites that post receipes. Many thanks to all of those posts. All I can say if I can do it (after eighteen years) anybody else should be encouraged.