Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stuffed Chicken Breasts Help...

Today I'm gonna do some pesto/mozzarella stuffed chicken breasts.  Made them before in the oven but wanna do it on the Egg.  What's the best setup for this on the Egg? Indirect, 350?   Should I butterfly the chicken and tie up or should I pound out and roll up and then tie up?

·

Comments

• Hi Eddie- All of your ideas are valid and will work just fine. 

If you are looking for a few other ideas, we do ours raised direct at 400 or so. You could do indirect as well but with really lean meats, I like to go direct and a little faster to keep them moist. We pound flat and just fold over. No rolling or tying. Of course bacon wrapped are alwasy good :) Here are some thighs we did wrapped at 400 raised direct:

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Cool, I'll do direct then!   I just looked and I don't have bacon.  Perhaps I'll have the wifey pick some up, however, it all depends on when she's on her way home :)
    ·
  • I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook
    Was that wrapped with bacon or just folded over and they somehow stayed together?   
    ·
  • EddieK76 said:
    I thought I had some pics of thighs we did just folded over but it works well too. If you pound them flat, they stay folded very nicely during the cook
    Was that wrapped with bacon or just folded over and they somehow stayed together?   
    Those were actually meat glued. You might need to use a toothpick or 2 unless you have some meat glue lying around. I mean, who doesn't right? :))

We do a breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, basil, and feta that we just pound and fold. Works like a champ. 

·
  • the bacon was meat glued around a folded thigh. It held it all together

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,496
    I was waiting for the meat glue appearance-"truth in advertising" :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288
    +1 for pounding thin, rolling and cooking raised direct.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,278
    edited April 2013
    Looks great, Mickey! 

(you know you can get away with just 1 piece of string in a chain hitch - sorry, have to "mess" with ya!)  Here's how

·
    @nolaegghead thank you. It is so much trouble to do the way I do it. Made a plastic covered copy that I can find. Thanks man,you are so much more than a handsome man ^:)^ image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,278
    Mickey, happy to share the knowledge.  I actually learned that from Stike as he was describing how he was going to tie up Little Steven, I mean, a bresaola and hang it out to dry. ;)

·

Nola I like that. For some reason in a thread here today I was thining about him.. It just seems right with Steven trussed up for dinner

=))

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    And I liked it ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,496
    Are we approaching TMI here between meat glue and various bonding knots :)  Perhaps this thread has taken a turn down the dirt road-but if you can skip those posts-some good info :)>-
    Louisville
    ·