Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR vs CGW Swing

2»

Comments

• I'll throw another variable in. When I got my large, I didn't buy a plate setter, I got Kamodo Joes version. It has a wire frame that holds a stone that fits in the large perfect. You can place it in the cut outs where the ps legs would go, or raise it up just a bit by putting it on the top of the flat of the fire ring. The stone can also sit low in the frame, our on top, so there are three heights of indirect you can set. Plus the frame can be used without the stone to do raised direct like the Woo. It is very easy to pull the indirect piece when hot after pulling the main grid. Felt guilty buying from the competitor, but has proven to be very flexible and gives great coverage avoiding hot spots. I also get grid and dome temps to match very quickly, so home made 2nd grid is same temp. Price was same as ps. Suprised more people aren't using it? I think it would work real nicely with a swing rack as well. Although I can see the attraction to an AR.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Forgive my spelling, to many beers.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited April 2013
    I have an XL and the Swing Grate and it does all I ever want it to do.  I have no doubt the AR is more versatile, but I got a damn headache just reading about all the variations. I also have the woo, which let's me go raised direct.  For pizza I use the plate setter legs up which gets me grate raised, the I put the woo with ring up on the grid and it makes for a great raised pizza stone.

I think they are both great products and it pretty much seems that if you have either one of them, you are satisfied.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255

I can relate to one comment made....Someone said they got a headache thinking about all the pieces, combinations and parts of the AR.  I also get a headache trying to decipher all the combinations and parts which may ultimately play into my decision. 

The SR has 3 maybe 4 pieces as far as i can tell. Main Grate, top grate and pole.  Like the Egg it is simple. I think the AR provides more flexibility and that is the reason I am still undecided. 

Unfortunately I do not have any intentions of buying both.....not yet anyway.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I suggest watching videos of each. AR is quick to interchange parts. Most can just stay in there.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I thought the same thing when i was looking but the AR is actually super simple. It has a few more parts but they all just stay in your egg 24/7. Very simple adjustments and lots of flexibility. Seriously, a 3rd grader would have it figured out in minutes. Once you see it, you will intuitively know how it works. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    The adjustable rig isn't that complicated. I think it just gets a little confusing on the website because of all the different options. I couldn't figure out whether to go with the RB combo or the customer combo. Add into that the rig extender and it was pretty confusing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'll throw another variable in. When I got my large, I didn't buy a plate setter, I got Kamodo Joes version. It has a wire frame that holds a stone that fits in the large perfect. You can place it in the cut outs where the ps legs would go, or raise it up just a bit by putting it on the top of the flat of the fire ring. The stone can also sit low in the frame, our on top, so there are three heights of indirect you can set. Plus the frame can be used without the stone to do raised direct like the Woo. It is very easy to pull the indirect piece when hot after pulling the main grid. Felt guilty buying from the competitor, but has proven to be very flexible and gives great coverage avoiding hot spots. I also get grid and dome temps to match very quickly, so home made 2nd grid is same temp. Price was same as ps. Suprised more people aren't using it? I think it would work real nicely with a swing rack as well. Although I can see the attraction to an AR.
    I do think a lot of people use it on here. It is just called a "spider and a pizza stone".

I checked out the KJ and it looks nearly identical to the ceramic grill store offering. It is a neat way they did theirs with the legs to allow for multiple positions of the deflector.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I can't speak to the CGW as I've never seen one in person or used one, but I do love my AR. Highly reecommend it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings