Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket: need help preparing this "heavy" cut

So I decided I wanted to do a brisket Sunday... At my local restaurant supply store I found what looked like a nice cut but it is my first time and I am not sure how to trim the meat. It is a 13 lb cut labeled as "Brisket - Heavy." I could not find a "packer" cut or a "flat" cut, both names I recognize from my research. But this cut looks like it has both the flat and the point. 

Here are pictures:

The unpictured side looks just like the "fat cap" pics I have seen on packer cuts. 

I think I just want to trim the fat down to around 1/8" all around ... unless a "heavy" cut is a completely different beast?

Thanks for any advice you can offer for my first brisket cool!

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747
    That, sir, is a packer brisket. And Angus too. 

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 557
    You can YouTube "BBQ with Franklin...The Brisket". He shows you step by step how to trim.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,147
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    + 1

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    Thanks everyone! Just what I needed to hear. :)
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,310
    edited March 2013
    this happened yesterday. may be of some help for prep

·
    That was a good thread!

My cut is trimmed and rubbed and in the fridge. I'm starting early in the morning and it's done when it's done. 

I am out of my pork shoulder comfort zone but I reckon as long as I don't burn it to a cinder, something good will happen.

·
    BTW, my brisket came out perfectly fine. The flat COULD have been more moist, I guess, but really no complaints. I used a rub from Thirdeye's page and was quite happy with the flavor. The whole point got turned into burnt ends, and they are darn tasty!
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191

Mmmmm...burnt ends! My favorite thing to do with ANY cut of meat is to cube it, sauce it, return to smoke and call it "_______ burnt ends."

(BTW - the best compliments I've gotten when cooking brisket are doing it the Travis way.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,607
    @horseflesh: rock on! Any pics of the meat fest?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    No pics, I was too hungry during the most photogenic cutting board stage. :)
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,099
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 

=))
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Watch the Franklin video.  It's informative, entertaining and he IS the acknowledged master of the brisket.  (He wraps in butcher paper instead of foil to preserve the bark).
    ·