Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket: need help preparing this "heavy" cut

So I decided I wanted to do a brisket Sunday... At my local restaurant supply store I found what looked like a nice cut but it is my first time and I am not sure how to trim the meat. It is a 13 lb cut labeled as "Brisket - Heavy." I could not find a "packer" cut or a "flat" cut, both names I recognize from my research. But this cut looks like it has both the flat and the point. 

Here are pictures:

The unpictured side looks just like the "fat cap" pics I have seen on packer cuts. 

I think I just want to trim the fat down to around 1/8" all around ... unless a "heavy" cut is a completely different beast?

Thanks for any advice you can offer for my first brisket cool!

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,821
    That, sir, is a packer brisket. And Angus too. 

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 560
    You can YouTube "BBQ with Franklin...The Brisket". He shows you step by step how to trim.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,429

The core of brisket cooking is simple. Cover in rub of choice and cook at 300 dome until it is tender. (use a fork to test. It should slide in and out with no resistance.)

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,518
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 
    I saw a way to braise on this forum....457 hits... called the @travisstrick method...
    + 1

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    Thanks everyone! Just what I needed to hear. :)
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,670
    edited March 2013
    this happened yesterday. may be of some help for prep

·
    That was a good thread!

My cut is trimmed and rubbed and in the fridge. I'm starting early in the morning and it's done when it's done. 

I am out of my pork shoulder comfort zone but I reckon as long as I don't burn it to a cinder, something good will happen.

·
    BTW, my brisket came out perfectly fine. The flat COULD have been more moist, I guess, but really no complaints. I used a rub from Thirdeye's page and was quite happy with the flavor. The whole point got turned into burnt ends, and they are darn tasty!
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191

Mmmmm...burnt ends! My favorite thing to do with ANY cut of meat is to cube it, sauce it, return to smoke and call it "_______ burnt ends."

(BTW - the best compliments I've gotten when cooking brisket are doing it the Travis way.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,974
    @horseflesh: rock on! Any pics of the meat fest?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    No pics, I was too hungry during the most photogenic cutting board stage. :)
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,431
    henapple said:

Its really that simple. 

=))
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Watch the Franklin video.  It's informative, entertaining and he IS the acknowledged master of the brisket.  (He wraps in butcher paper instead of foil to preserve the bark).
    ·