Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Turkey Experience

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked 4 turkeys so far. In order: Bone-in turkey breast, brined and cooked low, indirect Whole bird, on the small side, Cajun injection, 300 indirect Whole bird, 16 lbs, herb injection, 325 indirect, Thanksgiving dinner Bone-in turkey breast, 7 lbs, herb injection, 350 indirect, Easter dinner Sorry I don't remember the temp on the first one. I just wanted to do something slow because I had the naive idea it would come out super moist. But here's the thing: by far the best one was the most recent: super moist. The brined turkey was easily the driest one I've cooked. I cranked up the heat on the Easter one because I was pressed for time. It was only on the Egg for 2.5 hrs - I pulled it at 160, like all the rest. Everyone was amazed at how moist it was. The Cajun one was also pretty moist but was too buttery for my tastes. I definitely prefer the Italian herb injection. So it seems like for me at least, the faster cooks with Turkey have worked better. I'm sure there's a limit where at some point you nuke the thing. But how does this square with you folks? Sound about right? Should I give the brining another shot?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Brining works, especially on turkeys.  If it was dry, it wasn't because of the brining unless you did something weird like soak it for a week in 10% saline.   Don't brine if the turkey is already "enhanced" with a solution of brine.
    No, soaked it overnight. I don't think it was enhanced, it was my first bird so I just wanted something to experiment on. I think it was a garden variety butterball.
  • I have only brined my turkeys, they are all moist,  even had one sit for 4 hrs, and still moist? Did you check if they were enhanced like nola asked?
  • JohnInCarolina
    I have only brined my turkeys, they are all moist,  even had one sit for 4 hrs, and still moist? Did you check if they were enhanced like nola asked?

I really don't think it was enhanced. I think I would have noticed that. I'll give brining another shot, but we've been so happy with the injected birds it will take a lot for us to change.
  • nolaegghead
    Injecting is like brining from the inside.
    Injecting is like brining from the inside.
    Both add liquid to the bird. With the brine nominally you'd get better absorption throughout the bird. With the injection you probably get the liquid a little more deeply, but it doesn't have the same time to diffuse (I put it on the egg shortly after injecting). That trapped liquid probably impacts how the bird cooks as well.
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah you right, if you cook right after injecting, it's not the same.
  • Well just chalk it up for finding the best way for you to cook it, if It works for you, and is good,  heck everything is good,  I think it's part of the fun. I may not cook everything to my taste or someone elses liking, but thats the way you find out what works. I cant cook a sreak to save my life, there not bad but not great, I just keep pluging away with different ways, one has to work, I just hope when I find it I remember  :-O
  • JohnInCarolina
    Well just chalk it up for finding the best way for you to cook it, if It works for you, and is good,  heck everything is good,  I think it's part of the fun. I may not cook everything to my taste or someone elses liking, but thats the way you find out what works. I cant cook a sreak to save my life, there not bad but not great, I just keep pluging away with different ways, one has to work, I just hope when I find it I remember  :-O

For the most part, I agree. I'm just an engineer and like to understand how things work.
  • That's cool, I love trains.
  • JohnInCarolina
    That's cool, I love trains.

:)) I have a mechanical engineering degree. My mom still wonders why I can't fix her car.
  • So im guessing no taking me to the north pole on christmas eve on the polar express? :((
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If it was a regular Butterball, then chances are it was enhanced with some kind of solution.

Last Thanksgiving, I smoked a fresh (non-enhanced) 12# turkey, brined overnight, @325°F until the breast hit 160-165°F and it came out great. Didn't have an egg at the time, so it was done on a drum smoker. My sister said it was the best turkey I've made yet. I've fried them, oven roasted with and without brine, but that was the first brined,smoked turkey. Maybe the brined one was on the dry side because it was a breast? Did it have skin on? No skin probably results in a more dry bird (speculating here).   

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Not all Butterballs are enhanced.  It'll say it if it is.  I've brined a few and they came out delicious.  I'm only doing turkey one way now - brine, sous vide, then sear.
    I used to do an injected bird both at 225 and 350 degrees and they came out quite moist. Then about 5 years ago I did my first brined turkey. For me I will never do it any other way.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    I cook at least 4 spatchcocked turkeys (plus a lot of legs) a year. I never inject or brine. Always cook direct / raised at 375/400 and cook to temp. Never had a dry bird or legs. Now I buy only 13 lb. birds. I use coffee rub on most and always use Bad Byrons Butt Rub on the legs (when cooking legs only).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    Mickey said:
    I cook at least 4 spatchcocked turkeys (plus a lot of legs) a year. I never inject or brine. Always cook direct / raised at 375/400 and cook to temp. Never had a dry bird or legs. Now I buy only 13 lb. birds. I use coffee rub on most and always use Bad Byrons Butt Rub on the legs (when cooking legs only).

Did you ever try one that was injected or brined?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW, the best turkey I have done was a "pre-brined" fresh bird from Trader Joes, cooked spatchcocked indirect at about 350 dome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.