Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
I recently got a Themapen to help know actual meat temps.  Cooked 4 NY Strips Saturday.  When they were about done, check temps with Themapen - depending on the steak and where I placed the Thermapen - temp readings were anywhere from 110 to 170.  Wanted them med rare so cooked for while longer and pulled them.  How do I get consistent, accurate readings with the Thermapen on steaks?  Why would the readings vary so much?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's hotter on the outside of the meat.  The internal temp is the coolest part of the inside.  Take a few readings - try getting the tip of the probe in the center of the meat.   If you like your steak cooked to 130, then pull it when the coolest part of the center is 123-ish.  It will rise up as the heat from the outside continues to cook the inside.  That's what the "rest" does.
    Options
    It is a little hot trying to measure a steak with a thermapen, especially since you need to enter the side of the steak to get an accurate reading.  Pull the steak off and use the thermapen while the steak is resting on a plate and stick the probe into the side of the steak, it's much easier this way and takes the guess work out of the measurment !!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yep, probe in the side is works well too. 

I usually pinch off half the thickness of the meat on the themapen probe and use that as a guide to hit the center going in through the top...take a few readings - meat cooks at different rates, I'm looking at the average coolest part of the meat.