Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAJOR pizza dough fail! Help

Options
I tried jiffy pizza dough mix and it was a major fail. Sticky, didn't form, didn't roll, and did i say sticky? What type of dough does everyone use? Bought or homemade? Thx. K

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Homemade. Lotsa recipies on the inter-web thingy.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Sticky generally means too much water / not enough flour.  It's easily fixed by adding flour.

It's easy enough to make yourself...don't waste money on mixes or store bought dough.

2.5C flour
    1C water
    1 envelope active dry yeast
    1t kosher salt
    3T olive oil
    1t sugar or honey

Warm water to around 100-110F, mix with yeast and your sugar of choice.  I use honey.
    Measure out the flour.  I use 2C AP, .5C white whole wheat (all King Arthur brand).  By the time you're done measuring out the flour, the yeast/water/sugar mix should be showing some signs of life.  Mix in the salt and oil.  Then mix in the flour.  Mix until uniform.  At this point, it may be sticky...not to worry.  On a clean counter top or other suitable surface, spread some flour, dump out the dough and knead for a few minutes, adding flour as necessary.  You want the dough to be soft and smooth, not sticky.  If it's sticky, it needs more flour kneaded in.  I generally end up adding around 1/4C during the kneading process.  Return to a well oiled bowl (the original mixing bowl should do), and either let rise for an hour or overnight in the fridge.  Punch down, and ideally, let it rise again before punching down again and stretching or return to fridge until you're ready to cook (for me, that's usually in the evening...i.e. I mix the dough the night before, punch down in the morning, put it back in the fridge, punch it down again in the evening, and bake).  If you do put it in the fridge, take it out in advance to warm up before cooking...preferably around an hour.

When you're ready to make the pizza, spread flour on a suitable surface in a roughly 16" diameter circle, place the dough in the center, and start spreading it out.  I can't really explain how to do this part, but will say it's the part where I struggled the most.  If you don't want to fight with it, you can use a rolling pin, but you'll end up with a totally flat crust.  This quantity of dough properly stretched will make a 16" pizza.

I pre-cook for 2 minutes before saucing and topping, then another 12 minutes.  It can be done at 425F in the oven, or at as close to 425F as you can regulate in the egg.  Either way, use a pizza stone that's been preheated.  I cook on the stone using parchment to make it easy to transfer the crust on/off the stone.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Alton Browns recipe has worked for me. You should be able to google it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Homemade , never store bought. Its 3-5 ingredients tops, look how many are listed on that box.
    Practice makes perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    Once you make a homemade za that knocks your socks off, store bought dough will make your face scrunch! Then you'll discover the delicious wonders of sourdough and think back with fond thoughts of yesteryear as you blink back tears of joy whilst eating the greatest bread inspired food treats known to man! Persevere with homemade! Trust me....
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    My local pizza shop will sell me their rounds, just need to proof and roll out ( stretch to oval / round ).
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    I have found the store bought doe needs to be a room temp in order to use. Don't use it cold!! 
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Buy mine at local pizzeria...$2 per dough ball. Probably cheaper than buying all ingredients to make my own dough plus save time too.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Homemade I have tried many and always come back to Jamie Oliver's Recipe I use 00 or regular flour and Semolina it gives it a nice chew. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Owossoegger
    Options
    Thank you all. It sounds like homemade dough from now on. Anxious to try it out. Pics to follow soon
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I know some will frown on this, but I use a bread machine.  Just 1.5 hrs on the dough only cycle and we've had some great crust.  Recipe similar to above, but I'll use molasses instead of sugar or honey.  Make sure you use quality flour, it really does make a difference.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014