Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan

HeathBar
HeathBar Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Previous searches of mine led little information on using the Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan in the BGE.   Tonight we cooked 4 pizzas and though I'm new to BGE's I was thoroughly impressed with the crust that was formed.  

My setup:

XLBGE; platesetter with legs up, 4 inch raised grill (gets the cast iron 6-7 inches from the top of the dome), Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan pre-heated for 25 minutes.

The first pizza was at 650 for 4 minutes, and successive pizzas the temp was increasing a little faster than I expected so the next three were cooked from 700-750 or so and time on the CI was around 2 minutes.
XL BGE 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice setup, i have to try that high in the dome !
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Do you have a pizza stone? Would be interested to hear how the CI pan compares to the stone. I've had good luck with the stone but am up for trying something diffrent.
  • HeathBar
    I don't have a stone that I can use in the egg. I had the CI pan which I used in my oven before I got my egg.  Based on my experience in the past, this CI pan will keep it's heat and I didn't see any less browning after successive pizzas like I have experienced with stones in the oven.  
    XL BGE 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My best pizza was with the Lodge CI pan. With a Large Egg, can't raise it up due to the size, but at gasket level, still made a great crust.
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013
    <P>Heath what did you use for dough? Caputo/other homemade or store bought?</P>
    <P>I have the same CI Piz pan but have not yet tried it on the egg. </P>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• HeathBar
    All I had was some organic all purpose and used Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough revipe. I do intend to use caputo but where I live no one carries it.

XL BGE 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    HeathBar said:
     I do intend to use caputo but where I live no one carries it.
    You need to buy it online. I bought mine from the Brickovenpizza. They raped me on shipping. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks great. Love the the bottom shot of the crust.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    HeathBar said:
    All I had was some organic all purpose and used Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough revipe. I do intend to use caputo but where I live no one carries it.
    Amazon carries it as well as forno bravo. Do you have a whole foods nearby?
  • HeathBar
    Yeah, I'll have to get some online.  We are in the suburbs of Dallas and don't have a Whole Foods nearby without driving all the way into the city.  Any brand recommendations?
    XL BGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great- thanks for sharing.  I have a CI griddle that should serve that purpose.  I will have to give this a try. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.