Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to eat in New Orleans

Options
I will be in NOLA in two weeks. What restaurants do you recommend?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    :Paging NolaEgghead:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    The Gumbo Shop. I've been to New Orleans multiple times in the past 20 years. Every time I go I ask locals (cab drivers, hotel desk clerks, etc) where they would take a guest from out of town that would not cost too much and I always get the same answer.
    Nola will have some excellent suggestions as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Court of the Two Sisters Jazz Brunch on Sunday mornings is pretty awesome. Cafe du Monde is a good quick stop for cafe au lait and beignets. Lots of great smaller places for traditional favorites like étouffée, muffulettas, etc. Been a while since I lived thre bu still dream about the food!
  • chicagomike
    Options
    Take the St Charles trolley out to Oak street, walk three blocks west (really northwest). 

Jacques Imos. 

I have eaten here six times and every time it has been incredible. Plus, it is nice to get out of the french quarter for a little while. 

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    R'evalution and Stella are both amazing experiences pricy but good.
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That thread is pretty recent - all my recommendations and others stand. 

Tried a new place since then that blew me away - Saffron - incredible food!  Fusion between Indian and creole/cajun.   It's on the West Bank and they're only open for dinner, and only on Fridays, and you need a reservation.  Price is moderate, but the food is 5 star.
    Where are you staying? Will you have access to a car? Will you have kids?

August, Stella, Root and R'Evolution for high end.

Coquette, Iris, Patois, La Petite Grocery, Borgne, Rue 127, Maurepas Foods, Geautreaus, Herbsaint, Bistro Daisy, MILA, Ye Olde College Inn, Le Foret and Dante's kitchen all are really good also.

I would definitely do Three Muses on Frenchmen St. one night. Good food (small plates), craft cocktails and live music at reasonable prices. Get there early (6:15 or so) to make sure to get a table.

Iris would be my choice for a nice dinner if you are staying downtown in the quarter without transportation.

Poyboys at domilses, mahoneys or R&O's if your staying on the east bank. Johnny's if you must in the quarter.

Surrey's cafe or Elizabeth's for breakfast or brunch. Irish House does good breakfast too.

I am friends with a lot of chefs and am very familiar with the restaurant scene. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Blackened Out is a great New Orleans food blog, though you kind of have to dig around for reviews.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Charbroiled Oysters @ "Drago's" is a must. I recommend either the shrimp and corn bisque or the chicken and sausage gumbo for starters. Enjoy.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Don't forget Jacque-Imo's on Oak st. Uptown!!!! Uniquely NOLA....
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Mother's is a must for me. The ferdie with debris is one of my favorites.
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    My favorite places are August, Jacque-Imo's, and the Court of Two Sisters.

You also HAVE to go to Cafe Du Monde and Acme Oyster house. They are NOLA fixtures!

And if you are looking for drinks, go to Lafitte's Blacksmith bar and Napoleon House. And if you are looking to get out of the Touristy areas, checkout Frenchman street. That's where the locals go. Lots of great jazz out there!
  • EGC71
    EGC71 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    Definately Gumbo Shop. That place is awesome.
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Options
    I was there last weekend and tried a new spot called cooter browns at the end of St Charles. Amazing hole in the wall. Fresh oysters, po boys, fried seafood, etc. also am a big Dragos fan.
  • Blewis212
    Blewis212 Posts: 26
    Options
    Don't overlook odd places. One of the best things I got was some dirty rice out of a convenience store around the corner from Royal Sonesta and some may argue but I have to have bananas Foster from Brennan's
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Take the St Charles trolley out to Oak street, walk three blocks west (really northwest). 

Jacques Imos. 

I have eaten here six times and every time it has been incredible. Plus, it is nice to get out of the french quarter for a little while. 

20 min cab ride. Thought we were being taken out to be shot. Well worth the trip. Also like Acme Oyster Co (all of them).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Mickey said:

Jacques Imos. 

20 min cab ride. Thought we were being taken out to be shot. Well worth the trip. Also like Acme Oyster Co (all of them).
    You silver-spooned Texas hill country guys.   (sigh).    If someone wanted to shoot ya, they wouldn't take ya out to dinner first.  New Orleans is safe unless you're a scum-bag drug dealer or a complete idiot, or incredibly unlucky.  And I know you deal only in Toyotas.
    Options
    X2 for Dragos Charbroiled Oysters!!
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Pascals Manale for sure. You won't regret it nor forget it.
    1838 Napoleon Ave, New Orleans. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I cooked up some Drago's style oysters on the egg last Wed.  They were as good or better.  Obviously the secret is access to fresh oysters or everyone would be making them.  Insanely good.

Dante's Kitchen at the Riverbend - I know the owner/ executive chef and the food is out of this world.  He has his own charcuterie guy.

Susan Spicer's place - Bayona, excellent.  Meauxbar on Rampart, Lilette on Magazine, so many places...
    Options
    If you even remotely like fried chicken, without a doubt, go to Willie Mae's Scotch House! They may only be open for lunch, but well worth it.
  • Native
    Native Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes to Stellas and Drago's. Acme Oyster House is great but I kinda like Feliz's across the street (for raw oysters) but they had lost their liquor license last time we were there. Got to have beer with them. Anyone know if that's still true? Recommend The Trolly Stop on St. Charles for breakfast-good local joint. Usually a line out the door on weekends, but moves fast. The Coffee Pot in the Quarter has been in Tripple D.
    In fact we haven't had many bad meals in NOLA. Bring bigger pants.
  • Native
    Native Posts: 9
    Options
    Oh. And any of the John Besh restuarants. He even has one in the WWII museum. Nice museum, especially the film by Tom Hanks. We bought a memorial brick in honor of my wife's father, Lt. Commader Victor Shea.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    + 1 for Feliz's over ACME.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    my buddy across the street works at Besh's Restaurant August.  They're top notch.
    Options
    Camellia Grill 
    Palace Cafe
    Port of Call
    Cafe du Monde