Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Daughter's First Chicken Cook

She's four years old and wanted to cook chicken on "her" Egg for supper tonight.  We had all three Eggs blazing away.  I bought a bag of leg quarters and cut them into legs & thighs which yielded a lot more than I thought.  I halfed a spaghetti squash, coated the flesh with EVOO and had it cooking indirect in the large a few minutes before I loaded in the chicken in the small and mini.  Like I said, we had a lot more chicken then I thought.  So I had to take the spaghetti squash out of the large and finished it in the oven.  I like cooking chicken raised direct, so I removed the hot stone from the large for the overflow chicken.  Here's some pix:

All three Eggs humming along here.

Elaine checking her Egg and practicing good burping technique.  She wanted to open her Egg frequently.  I had to remind her "If you're lookin', then you ain't cookin'!"  She likes the saying, but she would rather be lookin'.

Here's a look at her legs.

Here's the money shot on the good china.

image.

Thanks for looking.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Good times Fred. I was talking to my 9 yr old son an hour ago about he and his 6 yr old brother cooking something with me tomorrow on the egg.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • She likes riding her bike taking breaks for opening her Egg.  I think her helmet was on backwards in the first photo.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice Fred, training her right.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • That Charlie's Chips tin is like a blast from the past!!!! Last time I saw one of those was like 1982.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That is awesome Fred!!! Just waiting on my granddaughter to get old enough to egg, but I don't want it to come to fast

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very nice.  Way to start them young.  My 3 yo grand daughter Lydia loves "Egg food" but hasn't participated in the cook yet.  +1 on the safety equipment.  Lydia last week insisted that when playing with a balloon, everyone must wear gloves and a hat 'for safety, because balloons are dangerous'  
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Very nice! Can you tell me more about the spaghetti squash? Never done one and would like to try it. Temp? Time? 

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Chicken looks tasty. I love the "fine china"!  When my daughter was about that age she would frequently were her helmet backwards as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    That is great! I love getting the little ones involved. I have my cousins 13 year old come help me cook on the weekends and we are trying to come up with a plan to convince his mom they need a egg. 

Food looks great and I think I have the same china pattern! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • @RAC - Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  This is a thread about spaghetti squash.  I was doing it a bit differently.  I was cooking it indirect with the Egg stabiliized at 350.  The prep is straight forward.  Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise (kinda difficult), scoop out the seeds & stuff, coat the flesh in EVOO, salt & pepper.  Cook flesh side down until the shell is softened.  This thing is REALLY hot at this point.  The thread advises you to wait for it to cool a bit before using a fork to make the "spaghetti".  I like mine hot and that's what oven mitts are for.  Treat the resulting "spaghetti" like pasta.  We just buttered it up and enjoyed it.  I like more pepper than my family, so I gave it a booster shot.  Enjoy!  Here's the link:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142884/spaghetti-squash-bge-style#latest

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great to see that you're passing the torch on, and that she's mindful about egging safely (burping with cranium protection :) ).

The pic of your little cutie checking on her cook is beautiful!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Thanks

Ricky

Boerne, TX