Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What's on the Menu for Our Easter Feast? (Lightly) Smoked Turkey on the BGE.

ParallelParallel Posts: 402
edited March 2013 in Poultry
I have decided to do a small (11lb.) turkey on the BGE for our Easter dinner this year. I looked around the web and decided upon an apple juice brine . Once it comes out of the brine (about 12 hours or so) I'll dry it off with paper towels and then put in the refrigerator uncovered as we do for spatchcock birds. Onto the BGE at 350° with just a handful of apple or pecan chips (I just want to lightly smoke it). So... any advice that I haven't covered?

The brine is 2 qts. apple juice, 3 qts. water, 1/2 cup salt (1 cup if your turkey is not "enhanced" with solution) 1lb. brown sugar. The sugar and salt is brought to a boil to dissolved then allowed to cool, 18 cloves, 6 bay leaves, 6 garlic cloves (crushed), 4 oranges (quartered and squeezed into the pot), 3 oz. sliced fresh ginger.

It all goes into the pot along with a 10 to 12 lb. turkey (ours is 11 lbs.) We used a roasting bag to ensure there is no reaction of the citric acid from the oranges with the aluminum pot considering the amount of time it would be in contact. Plus it makes it easy to mix around and flip the bird.

Then into the refrigerator in the garage for at least an hour per lb. of turkey.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments