Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Eggers

mast3quila
mast3quila Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Celebrating my one week anniversary with a LBGE with a 22oz porterhouse.
Thank you to everyone posting pics and fueling my passion to master this beast.
My wife still thinks it's a silly purchase (we made $$$ on a real estate sale and all I wanted was an egg). The only comment she's made thus far is "It's juicy, but tastes like charcoal". I'm still in the learning stages.
Next week we're having a family gathering of 28-35 people. I want to impress with a piece of meat the likes of which they've never had!
I've got my work cut out for me, but will find inspiration right here in the forums.
Hopefully my BBQ Guru will show up on Tuesday as planned :)[p]Have a great week![p]
--
Jason in Westminster

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    MasT3quila,[p]You will learn how to minimize the charcoal flavor. My wife used to like the flavor that came from "match lite" style charcoals. That was 6 or 7 years ago. A few weeks ago, we were at a friends house for a cook out. She commented that the the food had the flavor of fighter fluid and longed for food from the egg. Give it time. You and your wife will learn to love the egg as so many here of the forum have![p]Smokey
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    MasT3quila,
    It takes a lot of practice, experience, and failures to even begin to manage the smoke taste in your food. There is a real learning curve with the egg, no matter how simple it seems, or how EZ it sounds here on the forum. [p]The brand of lump controls about 50% of the smoke taste issue. Residul lump, leftover drippings, leftover wood chips, insufficient warm up/stabilizing, meat choice, and cooking temps all contribute to the amount of smoke flavor in your end product. My wife dislikes the taste of smoke in all of the grilled food except pulled pork, so I have to be careful with what I'm doing, and I'm especially careful with poultry, because it sucks up the smoke so fast. [p]I have found the Cowboy Brand of lump has the least offensive smoke. According to TNW, it's probably because it is made from kiln dried wood scraps. It is very neutral. I use a blend of Wicked Good (for heat and longevity) and Cowboy for the cooks where smoke might be an issue. Wicked Good is also fairly neutral when it comes to smoke taste... just a little more difficult to deal with on its own, that's why I blend the two.[p]Live and learn,[p]Mike in MN