Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's perfect.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I play with my meat for an hour, it's not exactly....ah, nevermind.
    Options
    Alright, thanks guys. Wish I could put it on tonight but the boy has a soccer game in the morning and don't want to leave it. Can't wait till tomorrow.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Just put the brisket on at 10pm. Wish me luck.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Just put the brisket on at 10pm. Wish me luck.

You got this.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Cen-Tex, thanks for confidence, but think I already have an issue. Meat temp has climbed from 43 to 70 in about 30-40 minutes. Maybe I'm just second guessing myself but that seems faster than what a pork butt would do. Normal?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Cen-Tex, thanks for confidence, but think I already have an issue. Meat temp has climbed from 43 to 70 in about 30-40 minutes. Maybe I'm just second guessing myself but that seems faster than what a pork butt would do. Normal?
    i know i'm not centex but sit back and have a drink and enjoy the ride.  you got a long brisket road a head of you, have a few cocktails make sure your dome temp is stable and get some sleep.  
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Now I'm 90 min in and it's at 124. I know it will hit the stall but just seems to be getting warm quick. Grate temp holding steady at 265.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You're fine.  Making progress...pour a drink and watch ESPN.  :D
    Options
    Alright, I'll trust the Force. B-)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The temp will haul ass up when it's cold.  Too low for evaporative cooling.  You'll hit the stall and, don't worry about it, but your temp can actually drop. 
    Options

Now I'm 90 min in and it's at 124. I know it will hit the stall but just seems to be getting warm quick. Grate temp holding steady at 265.

Yea, this the hard part @cen-tex_smoker taught me through reading from this place for like year that you just make sure your temps are steady. Even if you want to bump the temp or foil or put beer on or give it a blessing you gotta let it ride. I'm 4 hrs in one it 147, grid 230 dome 250. I know once it gets to like 160 it will be there for awhile. Maybe the @centex will chime in during his ride on a burbon train here soon
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Woke up at 2:30 to find Mav reading 240 at the grate, meat at 172, but PartyQ flashing red because it's reading over 300. Dome says 250, so not sure what is causing this weirdness.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I'm not that familiar with the Party Q but is your pit probe shielded from direct heat coming from under the plate setter (or other indirect stone)? If not, it should be to avoid high reads on temp from direct heat. Perhaps put it next to your Maverick pit probe.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Boileregger
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

I'm not that familiar with the Party Q but is your pit probe shielded from direct heat coming from under the plate setter (or other indirect stone)? If not, it should be to avoid high reads on temp from direct heat. Perhaps put it next to your Maverick pit probe.

It is right next to the Mav.
    ;)

They both are over the plate setter to shield from the heat. They generally run 10-20 degrees off but never this big of spread.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Rebooted it a couple of times and that seemed to do the trick. Meat is at 176, might be having brisket for breakfast...
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Brisket for breakfast sounds good except you wanted it for dinner right? D'oh!

I have two in my XL now and planning on having one ready for lunch.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Yeah, I know they are all different but I don't understand how a ~13 lb brisket can be at 180 after only 6 hours. Where is the stall? I'm sure it isn't going to turn out very well.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    That's really quick considering the temp you're cooking at! Odd. It could still end up good but just done too early.

Bay Area, CA
  • Boileregger
    Options
    10 hours in and reading 185 internal.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Sounds like you found that stall you were looking for!

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    When checking the brisket temperature, make sure you are into the thickest part of the flat-the point will run around 10*F hotter due to all the fat.  The flat drives the finish-line.  Probe goes in and out with little to no resistance, you are there.  Somewhere in the 190-205*F range usually but each hunk is different.  Enjoy the end result.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Just hit 190. I checked for tenderness and there were still some spots in the flat where there was some resistance, so I'll give it another hour or check when it gets to 195, whichever comes first.
  • s9601694
    s9601694 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just did a 14 pounder last week, I put a step-by-step description of means/methods/pains/sufferings and happiness on my blog. Brisket is stressful ;) but worth it!

check it out!
    Visit my blog! www.theonlydutchredneck.com

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Just hit 190. I checked for tenderness and there were still some spots in the flat where there was some resistance, so I'll give it another hour or check when it gets to 195, whichever comes first.

Stay Calm... You are doing GREAT! :-c
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • U_tarded
    Options
    your on the right path!  just to give you a reference how they are all different beasts i put mine on at 6:30 250 dome, it is now 930 am ant we are only at 178 it.  i bumped it up to 300 because i want at least an hour rest before a noon serving, i don't know if i will get there.  i weighed it before rubbing and it was about 8.5 lbs they are all their own monsters.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Sorry guys. Went out to a late movie with TFJ last night. Sounds like you made it through the night. If you are going to fast, just lower the temp to like 200-225. It will take a few hours to get up to temp from there. Doing great. Everything you experienced last night was totally normal. Seems like a wild ride but once you've done a few, it becomes 2nd nature.
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Sorry guys. Went out to a late movie with TFJ last night. Sounds like you made it through the night. If you are going to fast, just lower the temp to like 200-225. It will take a few hours to get up to temp from there. Doing great. Everything you experienced last night was totally normal. Seems like a wild ride but once you've done a few, it becomes 2nd nature.
    how dare you take your wonderful wife out and abandon the good people of this forum.  i thought you new better.  :) just kidding we went out and had an amazing thai dinner ourselves
  • Boileregger
    Options

Thanks to everyone for your help.  The results turned out pretty good, though if I was going to be super critical I would say it was a little drier than I'd like.  However, my wife loved it and my son had seconds and thirds, so couldn't be that bad!  Especially for a first-timer!!  The point is back on the Egg right now letting it smoke a little more before I cube it up and put it back in for burnt ends.

I hope others have learned from this thread as much as I have.  Probably the biggest thing I learned is confidence - don't second guess yourself.  If you've done your homework you know what to do!

• Boileregger
    Options

Still have no idea why some pics show up upside down and some don't!!

Also, just wanted to recommend *highly* using Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks as a brisket rub.  It was awesome - really peppery and delicious!