Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter ham countdown...

Options
Well all I can think is dont screw up my first ham. Seriously. My mom has been making a serious ham for years. This year ham is at my house for the first time. Goin with the egret ham ( no offense Mickey) people in my house love the sweet stuff. My only worry is the booze. Is it needed? And do inject?
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I am doing my first as well. Can't believe after all I have cooked I have never done a ham on th egg, but not really a fan I guess. SWMBO wants, so SWMBO gets.

I am injecting mine with maple syrup tomorrow night, then throwing on the glaze after I inject. Then in the fridge she goes until I pull it to smoke it. It appears some people score the skin, cook it halfway, remove the skin, and then finsh cooking. Are you just leaving you skin on and slicing it skin on?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I went with a spiral and will follow the directions, but cook it low and slow on the egg.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'm not going to scor it.

• grege345
    Options
    Should I? I'm startin to get the jitters

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I did one for Christmas.  I scored it and used a mix of OJ, brown sugar, root beer and honey.  I injected the ham with it and also used it on the outside.  I brought temp up to 160 on it and the outside was hardish, so I cut it off and then sliced some very moist delicious ham for dinner :)

• chris123stock
    Options
    You know the worst thing that can happen is you don't com it and then you will never know how good it was. You can  only wonder how amazing it would of been.  DO IT  
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Just throwing another idea out there. This ham was posted by Grandpas Grub. I did one last year and sent it to my wife's work and it got devoured in a matter of minutes according to the wife. Yeah, I broke some off to try and it was very good. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1228069&catid=1#
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • grege345
    Options
    So the ham just got dropped off. Wow! It's a whopper. Courtesy of mom. Directions say 15 min per pound at 325 to get IT to 140. Did I mention it is 19 pounds. Whole ham. So here is the question. How long in the egg at a lower temp. I think it would be 5 hours at recommended temp. Not a math guy. Glaze and injection are going to happen tonight. Help calm my nerves please

• chris123stock
    Options
    You can go off time, but I would probably use that as an idea, and watch the temperature.  For me its easier to go off temp, I can adjust the temp to slow it down or speed it up, also foil helps in the cook. But thats just me. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    By the directions you are looking at 4.75 hours.  My guess would be to start a "low and slow" around 250 degrees giving yourself eight hours.  Then monitor the internal to finish an hour early, by adjusting the cooking temperature.  Knowing you can hold it in a cooler and keep it hot for a couple of hours makes it nice to finish early.  
  • grege345
    Options
    I like where your heads at Charlie ill start it way early and if its done early that's fine

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I believe the first part being "low and slow", even if only for two hours will make a big difference in the final product -- kind of like cooking a butt
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Should I? I'm startin to get the jitters
    No, don't start getting the jitters! If you don't have any bourbon, leave it out. You may need to add a little more liquid if the smear is too stiff (I'd use more maple syrup). Temperature can be anywhere from 250* to 325*.......it's not that important! I would suggest you inject it, however. I never score mine.......A ham that size will probably take 5-6 hours at those higher temps. I listed. Good luck with it........it'll be great........not to worry! :)
  • grege345
    Options
    Alright here we go. Lit fire at 430 and took ham out of fridge while I got the egg ready. Waited an hour and got temp dialed in and new fire smoke cleared. 275 cooling temp for now. Used egrets recipe and advice for the most part. Stay tuned.... Oh and happy Easter

• grege345
    Options
    Alright so I took a peek at the ham. Why not. Technically it's already cooked. Looks good so far but I'm thinking I need a finish type glaze on it at the end for presentation and taste. Am I overthinking this?

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I did one yesterday and what I did after carving it was pour some of the juice from the pan over the slices and then served. I turned out great as always! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • grege345
    Options
    Took a pic right before it went To the cooler to hold for an hour and a half.

• bbqscientist
    bbqscientist Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wooo Greg that looks good my friend.  What was the final meat temp on that?  Love that crust.
  • grege345
    Options
    140 when I took it off and into the cooler. Right around 128 or so I mopped a honey and brown sugar mix with just a little apple juice to cut it. I'll know in an hour how it all turned out

• grege345
    Options
    Cut into it and sneaked a few pieces. Smokey sweet deliciousness. Thank you egret. I am right up there with the Easter bunny on bringing the goods today.