Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping with the small - multiple cooks

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Went camping this weekend and took the new small I got on Craigslist. Definitely a bit of a learning curve compared to the large, but impressed with how quickly it comes up to temperature, and really like the Woo.

First night cooked a spatchcock chicken rubbed with DP Tsunami Spin (great stuff) for chicken tacos. Toasted up tortillas, added some feah avocado. Cooked brochalinas for a side. Put in foil pouch with salt, pepper and a little EVOO; only took about five minutes to cook.

Next morning made fried rice with leftover chicken plus veggies and pre cooked rice we brought with us. I never could get the wok hot enough to really fry the rice, but it still turned out okay. Any advise from those that wok regularly?

Made streak sandwiches for lunch; put a little EVOO on the buns and toasted them up. Seasoned steak with salt, pepper and Worcester sauce because that's what I had available.

Enjoyed having the small egg, and looking forward to the next outing.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    That's a real gourmet campfire weekend.  Where did you go?  My son and I are looking for a place to camp sometime in April or May if I can get some time away from work.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Great cooks. Welcome to the Small Egg club.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • CPARKTX
    @Foghorn -- we went to Pedernales Falls...if I could recommend any place in the general area, it would be Lost Maples, especially for primitive camping.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great camping cooks. Love to see folks travel with their small eggs and I can't wait to take mine on the road too.

I found that my small takes a longer time to cool down. Don't know if there is a leak around the intake or something.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Garner state park is good. Kerville state park on hillside is good. Check for burn ban info.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I've done daytrips to Pedernales, but never camped there.  It's a great place. We love Garner, but this time we are leaning toward just going to a campground along the Guadalupe River out of New Braunfels - or maybe Guadalupe River State Park.  However, we're still sorting it out so all input will be considered. Thanks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• "I took my wife camping as an excuse to buy another Big Green Egg."

Gittin' there...
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Looks like some great meals making them while camping is even better!  =D>

Adding food to the small drops the temp down so you have to remember to dial it back in or it will be lower than you originally had it stabilized. I'm pretty used to cooking on the small now but it took a little of adjustments to be totally comfortable with it. 

For wok cooks on the small I treat it like a pizza cook and clean everything out and load it full of lump, light in two spots and let the fire go crazy. I use it on the woo without the grate so it might sit a little closer to the fire. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great! Not a big camping person myself, but really looking forward to taking the small to the lake house this summer. @Solson005 any recommended cooks to get used to cooking on the small? I cook on the medium mostly now but got the small based on yours and @MrCookingNurse's posts and have only fired it up once so far.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    @Scottborasjr Spatchcock is a nice one since it takes some time and it won't ruin your cook if it is 10-15° over/under your target temp. But even just some burgers or chicken breasts are good too. It is more just cooking and noticing the small differences between the bigger sized eggs. Or maybe a pork tenderloin. Whatever you like on the medium just cook on the small and notice the changes. Just do it on a night when you can spend a little more time watching the thermometer because the small egg likes to skyrocket up in temp if you leave it open too much. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Solson005 yeah I noticed that the it's very sensitive to changes in vent openings and the only cook I have done on it is pizza so far, will try and practice when I'm on vacation in two weeks. Have you put any gasket material around the top?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    @Scottborasjr I have not, my daisy wheel hasn't felt like it wants to come off when I open up the dome. It lives in the garage as I travel with it so often and I don't use the ceramic top right now. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks like a great time with the Small! I need to take mine camping some time. I use my wok like Solson005 does, Woo, no cooking grid, lump filled high to close the gap between the lump and wok.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @scottborasjr
    The dw is a lot better fit than the ceramic cap. I just make a habit of taking the cap off if I'm opening either egg. Haven't gotten around to changing my gasket but I might but some material up there. Something about me doesn't really wanna do that though. Kinda unfinished looking to me. I know the mini is ultra portable, but I feel like the small is just the camping work horse. It's a powerhouse.

XLBGE 
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    CPARKTX how hard was it to transport?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice! I love taking my small camping.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• CPARKTX
    @crispux49 - not hard at all, though a bit awkward without the Egg CARTen (I have one on order). Also, takes a long time to cool off after use so plan on that.