Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest FTC on Pork Butts?

Options
What's the longest FTC you have done on pork butts? How long can you keep them before you need to unwrap them and reheat or put in the frig? I just took mine off the cooker (10pm) and don't need them until tomorrow afternoon! I was using an electric smoker not my egg and they got done really early so the temp gauge on this electric smoker gizmo must be wrong!!! Thanks, Bill

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Refrigerate tonight in the same foil they finished in ---  re-heat in an oven at 300 degrees for about 90 minutes before pulling tomorrow.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    You need to cool those as quickly as possible and reheat them tomorrow.  I have held them FTC for five hours and they are still like holding a chunk of lava, but yours ain't gonna make it till tomorrow.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I totally agree with @BOWHUNR and  @Charlie tuna, I've done nearly six hours in a cooler only because I got caught up doing other things and it was still pretty hot to handle but that long is way too long.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    You all confirmed my thoughts, I put it in an ice chest with a bag of ice on top and one on the bottom of the butts...no room in the frig. This thing weighed 13.3 pounds from Costco, while I was prepping it fell apart so I had two hunks of meat. Thought it would take 20/24 hours at 230, it finished in ten! Took a small piece to sample and it tasted good.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Here is some good info the Naked Whiz has on Cooler Holding Times
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    BTW- thanks for the comments! Bill