Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on the mini!

Options
Had some free time so I threw some ribs on the mini. I miss my large but the mini is so much fun, gets up to temp quick and holds temp relatively well. Enjoy.  

Comments

• AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Options
    I've ordered the mini plate setter and cast iron grid. Thoughts on the CGS raised grid? I love the mini!! Price just went up to about $450 though...
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    Options
    i have the mini woo. I like it alot. The one downside is the gap between my stone for indirect (ordered the pack of two from Amazon) and the grid is very narrow, which leads to some of the fat that drips burning. I ruined a boston butt this way. I had a plate setter in my large and like the woo much better. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Why did you get rid of the Large?  Looks great by the way!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WC1
    Options
    I moved and orphaned it at my in-laws. Poor egg. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Poor egg, lucky in-laws.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job! The Mini is fun indeed.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    +1 always good for a mini thread.
    Seattle, WA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    WC1 -  ribs look great and are a new idea for my somewhat new Mini. One question.....looks like you have a cork spacer underneath the thermometer. Are you using a 5" thermometer plus the spacer in order to get a better temp than the 2.5"?

Thanks

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Have been weighing mini vs small for the new addition to the family...and I wasn't sure ribs would be able to fit.  Great post.  Thanks!
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Crispix49
    Options
    @WC1 forgot to ask about your setup; this that a mini woo with 8.5" stone for your indirect piece?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • WC1
    Options
    Spring- my thermometer has a 3.25" stem, the cork was cut to just allow the slit in the stem in the top of the dome. Crisp- yes that is the mini woo with the a 8.5" stone. Go get a mini you will love it. I thought it was gimmicky at first but I was wrong.
  • Crispix49
    Options
    @WC1 did the ribs on the mini turn out good as ones one your large?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Did 2 full racks one at a time today on the mini. Left the other ones wrapped and warm during 2nd rack cook.
    All went well, turbo'd em a bit so texture on 2nd was not as tender as 1st off the mini and warmed for a while.
    I cut my racks in half and stood them up against one another.
    Seattle, WA
  • WC1
    Options

Alright Skinny, now you got me thinking, how can I fit two whole racks on the mini at the same time. Maybe concentric circles?

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I like the way you wrapped the ribs...Neat idea.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    :-bd Very cool cook. So much fun filling the MINI up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• WC1
    Options
    Hasn't yet. Seared a Tuna Steak at 650 the other night and it was still good.