Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Smoked Maple Syrup Baked Beans

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,655
edited March 2013 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
2 pounds (4 cups / 907 grams / 1 bag) White Navy Beans
Water (10 cups + 6 cups = 16 cups)
1 pound Salted Pork Belly cut in thick slices or small cubes
2 Onions cut in half
2 cups Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Molasse
1/2 cup Chili Sauce
3 teaspoons Dry Mustard Powder

Soak the beans overnight at room temperature in a plastic container with 10 cups of cold water.

Drain and discard the water.  Rinse the beans with clear water.

Transfer the beans to a dutch oven and add 6 cups of cold water.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat  to low and let simmer for 30-45 minutes until the beans are tender (uncovered).

Mix the remaining ingredients and transfer to the dutch oven with the beans.

Place the cover on the dutch oven and bake on the egg @ 250F for 3 hours.  Remove the cover from the dutch oven and continue baking @ 250F for ~4 more hours adding wood chips to the fire.

Enjoy!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    daaaahammmm... great
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Paqman are you from Northern New England? :-h This is almost identical to my family recipe for beans, I have been wanting to try them on the egg. Thanks for the info on how to translate it from oven to egg!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • paqman
    CincyTiki said:
    Paqman are you from Northern New England? :-h This is almost identical to my family recipe for beans, I have been wanting to try them on the egg. Thanks for the info on how to translate it from oven to egg!
    @CincyTiki I live in the province of Quebec. The recipe is adapted from my mother's recipe. She keeps the water after soaking the beans; I prefer to discard and change it. She uses half and half brown sugar and maple syrup; I prefer to use just maple syrup. She uses bacon; I prefer to use salted pork belly. She uses ketchup; I prefer to use chili sauce.

paqman said:
    CincyTiki said:
    @CincyTiki I live in the province of Quebec. The recipe is adapted from my mother's recipe. She keeps the water after soaking the beans; I prefer to discard and change it. She uses half and half brown sugar and maple syrup; I prefer to use just maple syrup. She uses bacon; I prefer to use salted pork belly. She uses ketchup; I prefer to use chili sauce.
    Well that's sort of northern New England isn't it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman said:
    CincyTiki said:
    I'm just north of Ottawa.  You are from eastern Manitoba aren't you?  B-)

If I go back two generations we were in Montreal, then Burlington, VT, so it fits. :D We would soak overnight then use 1/2 tsp baking soda in the bean soaking water, boil for 1/2 hour then discard the water (and the skins that would pop off) and proceed much like you describe. The 1/2 hour preboil shortens the overall cooking time to 5 hours total. +1 on the salt pork (tough to find in Cincy), molasses and maple syrup (is that +3?)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    CincyTiki said:
    I'm just north of Ottawa.  You are from eastern Manitoba aren't you?  B-)
    Zing! Leafs are gonna kick adz tonight dude

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,705
    edited March 2013
    I love beans. I would love these beans. SWMBO would hate the aftetmath. :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    caliking said:

I love beans. I would love these beans. SWMBO would hate the aftetmath. :D

LOL That's a sweet bean recipe. I think the sugar helps with the "fermentation". I have been having different types of beans for the past days; the "aftermath" mode is kicking in...

I have a super Bowl party this weekend.  Feeding about 25. not sure everyone will want beans, my question is how many does this feed. trying to understand the pot size you used. Thanks
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    These sound great right now!!! 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Man that looks and sounds good. I'm a big sucker for beans. Enjoy!
  • @paqman: Looks great. Keep up the good posts!
  • Saving this recipe.  Looks fantastic!
  • paqman
    JMCXL said:
    I have a super Bowl party this weekend.  Feeding about 25. not sure everyone will want beans, my question is how many does this feed. trying to understand the pot size you used. Thanks
    @JMCXL I think that it was a 9 quart Lodge dutch oven and it looks about half full.  4 cups of dried beans will yield about 10-12 cups of cooked beans.

Going to have to try this.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• paqman
    GrateEggspectations said:
    @paqman: Looks great. Keep up the good posts!
    @GrateEggspectations That's an old post from 2013

Canugghead Posts: 11,408
    aren't you glad someone told you about maple syrup  ;)
    canuckland
  • paqman
    aren't you glad someone told you about maple syrup  ;)
    @Canugghead I don't think that he was serious, people get way too emotional these days. :)

We keep all the best maple syrup here (clear and extra-clear).  Dark and amber is exported along with some medium.

paqman said:
    @JMCXL I think that it was a 9 quart Lodge dutch oven and it looks about half full.  4 cups of dried beans will yield about 10-12 cups of cooked beans.
    thanks for the followup. can't wait for Saturday to make this
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• paqman
    JMCXL said:
    paqman said:
    @JMCXL You can cook them ahead of time too.  They are even better reheated.  This is a sweet bean recipe like the ones served in sugar shacks.  You can reduce the sugar (probably by half) and they will still be good.

paqman said:
    @JMCXL You can cook them ahead of time too.  They are even better reheated.  This is a sweet bean recipe like the ones served in sugar shacks.  You can reduce the sugar (probably by half) and they will still be good.
    In my experience, there are a few meals that are much better reheated. For example, I will take frozen and thawed homemade spaghetti sauce over fresh any day. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Sounds legit. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL