Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on the Menu for Our Easter Feast? (Lightly) Smoked Turkey on the BGE.

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited March 2013 in Poultry
I have decided to do a small (11lb.) turkey on the BGE for our Easter dinner this year. I looked around the web and decided upon an apple juice brine . Once it comes out of the brine (about 12 hours or so) I'll dry it off with paper towels and then put in the refrigerator uncovered as we do for spatchcock birds. Onto the BGE at 350° with just a handful of apple or pecan chips (I just want to lightly smoke it). So... any advice that I haven't covered?

The brine is 2 qts. apple juice, 3 qts. water, 1/2 cup salt (1 cup if your turkey is not "enhanced" with solution) 1lb. brown sugar. The sugar and salt is brought to a boil to dissolved then allowed to cool, 18 cloves, 6 bay leaves, 6 garlic cloves (crushed), 4 oranges (quartered and squeezed into the pot), 3 oz. sliced fresh ginger.

It all goes into the pot along with a 10 to 12 lb. turkey (ours is 11 lbs.) We used a roasting bag to ensure there is no reaction of the citric acid from the oranges with the aluminum pot considering the amount of time it would be in contact. Plus it makes it easy to mix around and flip the bird.

Then into the refrigerator in the garage for at least an hour per lb. of turkey.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I've used that same brine several times it is really good. If your gonna do the bird whole (not spatchcocked) stuff the cavity with apples and oranges. You're gonna really enjoy it
  • Parallel

UPDATE

Sorry for the delay in updating this, dealing with everything Easter without Mrs. Parallel being able to help was a bit daunting. So... I overslept and didn't get the turkey out of the brine as early as I had hoped. Brining longer was good for flavor, but not so good for crispy skin. I had no choice though so I had to forgo the drying process.

[IMG]

Apple wood smoke and nearly done turkey is making the hood smell good.

[IMG]

Done (Internal temperature; Breast 165°, Thigh 185°) and the skin was crisper than I had hoped it would be. Also, I forgot to "ice down" the breast for 20 minutes before I put it on the BGE. I ended up flipping the entire bird for about an hour to get the thigh meat temp up without over cooking the breast meat. It worked, but next time I'll be sure to ice it down.

[IMG]

Resting for 20 minutes. I'm TOTALLY sold on brine for turjey after this. The juices that were still in that meat when I made the first cut was unbelievable.

[IMG]

Carving it up...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Setting the table to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. I almost didn't even get this picture as I was doing my best to get it all done without letting everything get cold.

[IMG]

HAPPY EASTER!

• Parallel
    My seven year old boy who says he HATES turkey took a bite, he fairly yelled "YUM", his face lit up and he asked his mom; "are you SURE this is turkey"? Man did THAT feel good...

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Great job @Parallel!! Nice cook and beautiful table. Hope your wife is well. Thanks for sharing. I hope it was an enjoyable day for your family and great story about your son!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    I am bookmarking this post, deffinitely need to try this one out. Happy Resurection day !
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Good work man!
  • Bookmarked this post.  Looks great!  
    LGE - Roswell, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Nice bird man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.