Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Apple Smoked Maple Syrup Baked Beans

paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,165
edited March 2013 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
2 pounds (4 cups / 907 grams / 1 bag) White Navy Beans
Water (10 cups + 6 cups = 16 cups)
1 pound Salted Pork Belly cut in thick slices or small cubes
2 Onions cut in half
2 cups Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Molasse
1/2 cup Chili Sauce
3 teaspoons Dry Mustard Powder

Soak the beans overnight at room temperature in a plastic container with 10 cups of cold water.

Drain and discard the water.  Rinse the beans with clear water.

Transfer the beans to a dutch oven and add 6 cups of cold water.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat  to low and let simmer for 30-45 minutes until the beans are tender (uncovered).

Mix the remaining ingredients and transfer to the dutch oven with the beans.

Place the cover on the dutch oven and bake on the egg @ 250F for 3 hours.  Remove the cover from the dutch oven and continue baking @ 250F for ~4 more hours adding wood chips to the fire.

Enjoy!

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 12,427
    daaaahammmm... great
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CincyTikiCincyTiki Posts: 82
    Paqman are you from Northern New England? :-h This is almost identical to my family recipe for beans, I have been wanting to try them on the egg. Thanks for the info on how to translate it from oven to egg!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,165
    CincyTiki said:
    Paqman are you from Northern New England? :-h This is almost identical to my family recipe for beans, I have been wanting to try them on the egg. Thanks for the info on how to translate it from oven to egg!
    @CincyTiki I live in the province of Quebec. The recipe is adapted from my mother's recipe. She keeps the water after soaking the beans; I prefer to discard and change it. She uses half and half brown sugar and maple syrup; I prefer to use just maple syrup. She uses bacon; I prefer to use salted pork belly. She uses ketchup; I prefer to use chili sauce.

CincyTiki said:
    @CincyTiki I live in the province of Quebec. The recipe is adapted from my mother's recipe. She keeps the water after soaking the beans; I prefer to discard and change it. She uses half and half brown sugar and maple syrup; I prefer to use just maple syrup. She uses bacon; I prefer to use salted pork belly. She uses ketchup; I prefer to use chili sauce.
    Well that's sort of northern New England isn't it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

paqman said:
    CincyTiki said:
    I'm just north of Ottawa.  You are from eastern Manitoba aren't you?  B-)

If I go back two generations we were in Montreal, then Burlington, VT, so it fits. :D We would soak overnight then use 1/2 tsp baking soda in the bean soaking water, boil for 1/2 hour then discard the water (and the skins that would pop off) and proceed much like you describe. The 1/2 hour preboil shortens the overall cooking time to 5 hours total. +1 on the salt pork (tough to find in Cincy), molasses and maple syrup (is that +3?)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,716
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    CincyTiki said:
    I'm just north of Ottawa.  You are from eastern Manitoba aren't you?  B-)
    Zing! Leafs are gonna kick adz tonight dude

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• calikingcaliking Posts: 5,844
    edited March 2013
    I love beans. I would love these beans. SWMBO would hate the aftetmath. :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    caliking said:

I love beans. I would love these beans. SWMBO would hate the aftetmath. :D

LOL That's a sweet bean recipe. I think the sugar helps with the "fermentation". I have been having different types of beans for the past days; the "aftermath" mode is kicking in...