Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinges on egg messed up

Options
So when I open my XL egg top it is just not right.  Something is up with the hinges and it doesn't close properly.  Anyone have this issue and how do you fix it?  Is it just a matter of tightening screws or something?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    First thing I'd try is some WD-40 on the moving parts. If that doesn't work, you most likely have a couple of nuts on the hinge assembly that need tightening. You'll probably be able to see which ones are causing the problem. If you tighten some of the nuts be sure you don't overtighten the ones where the springs are attached. The springs need a little wiggle room in order to be able to rotate freely on that bolt.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Adjust your bands. Happens occasionally to most of us. I bet you have slippage. Lossen them up, push them all they way up/down and retighten. Should fix you right up
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

Adjust your bands. Happens occasionally to most of us. I bet you have slippage. Lossen them up, push them all they way up/down and retighten. Should fix you right up

With the lid down (duh :) ) I would loosen everything and then wiggle the dome, align the bands, and slowly tighten back up. Most likely you've had some slippage or shrinkage due to temperature extremes.

XLBGE 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Thanks all. That is what it looks like. I will be sure to do that.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    If I was considering anything more than a slight tweak/re-torque I would zip tie the hinge springs first just in case.
    Gittin' there...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

No need to zip tie the hinge on the XL, it is easy to remove the springs in you need.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA