Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very First Cook in Progress

Options
2»

Comments

• NoDak1959
    NoDak1959 Posts: 45
    Options
    It all depends what the ambient air temp is. It could be from a couple to several hours. The ceramic holds in heat very well which is what makes the egg fuel efficient. Great looking cook. :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Generally, if you finish a cook in the evening, you don't want to put a cover on it until the next day, just to play it safe.  At least that's my rule.
    Generally, if you finish a cook in the evening, you don't want to put a cover on it until the next day, just to play it safe.  At least that's my rule.
    Thank you!  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a hole somewhere that air was getting in.  I will check it in the morning before I go to work.

Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Highly unlikely...you can put it out just by shutting one end or the other...it's a little slower, but it'll snuff itself.  Just take a long time to cool...but that property also makes it very efficient with charcoal, compared to a steel grill which cools down immediately but also takes a lot of energy to run. 
    Options
    Awesome I'm glad your first cook went well. We can try anything you want to cook on Monday just let me know. :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Nice work! The Egg is definitely the best investment you can ever make for your taste buds! Great first cook. You should be hooked now.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Nice cook! My egg usually takes several hours to cool down, and I usually wait til next morning to re-cover
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice 1st cook! You will have some fun

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• RICHIED777
    Options
    From one firefighter to another....I'll be coming to you for help. I'm new as well!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    From one firefighter to another....I'll be coming to you for help. I'm new as well!
    welcome aboard. Jump on in and let us know if you need anything

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    From

From one newbie to another.... Welcome aboard. I will gladly help you with anything I can, but I am sure we will be learning together. Where are you a firefighter at?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!