Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hinges on egg messed up

So when I open my XL egg top it is just not right.  Something is up with the hinges and it doesn't close properly.  Anyone have this issue and how do you fix it?  Is it just a matter of tightening screws or something?
·

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,033
    First thing I'd try is some WD-40 on the moving parts. If that doesn't work, you most likely have a couple of nuts on the hinge assembly that need tightening. You'll probably be able to see which ones are causing the problem. If you tighten some of the nuts be sure you don't overtighten the ones where the springs are attached. The springs need a little wiggle room in order to be able to rotate freely on that bolt.
    ·
  • Adjust your bands. Happens occasionally to most of us. I bet you have slippage. Lossen them up, push them all they way up/down and retighten. Should fix you right up

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,143

Adjust your bands. Happens occasionally to most of us. I bet you have slippage. Lossen them up, push them all they way up/down and retighten. Should fix you right up

With the lid down (duh :) ) I would loosen everything and then wiggle the dome, align the bands, and slowly tighten back up. Most likely you've had some slippage or shrinkage due to temperature extremes.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Thanks all. That is what it looks like. I will be sure to do that.
    ·
  • If I was considering anything more than a slight tweak/re-torque I would zip tie the hinge springs first just in case.

·
  • No need to zip tie the hinge on the XL, it is easy to remove the springs in you need.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·