Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket: the end is near, quick question

Options
I started my first brisket last night.  I put it on at exactly midnight.  It's a 9.5# packer and I am following the Travis Method as closely as I can.

This is an interim post.  I've photo-documented each stage, so once I cut it open, I'll summarize appropriately. 

My question at this point is "How often do I need to check the brisket?"  

At 7:00 it was 200 on the very end of the flat but pretty consistently 185 throughout the point.  

I don't use a probe so I have to open and use a Thermapen.  I don't want to keep opening the grill because i'm sitting at almost exactly 300 and it seems like I need to not mess with it too much.

If my goal is 205 (per Travis) how often should I be testing it?  It's still a bit firm, so I know I have some time ahead, but now I'm too curious for my own good.  Just need some guidance on time expectations over the next few hours.

Here's a pic.  The bark hasn't really developed but I knew that going in with the braise-type method.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I don't know what's best or "right" but I would check it every 30 minutes or so.

At least that would be my plan. Curiosity would get me to probably check it every 20 minutes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    We run our egg at 250 for a 15lbs packer. I seperate the point at 170- 175, and wrap the point. I pull the flat at 198. Thats about 10 hours into the cook. As far as the bark, you're right, it's the braise. What did you season the flat with? That has a lot to do with the bark.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    rsmith193 said:
    We run our egg at 250 for a 15lbs packer. I seperate the point at 170- 175, and wrap the point. I pull the flat at 198. Thats about 10 hours into the cook. As far as the bark, you're right, it's the braise. What did you season the flat with? That has a lot to do with the bark.
    I season it with a mixture that's basically equal parts sugar, chili powder, montreal seasoning and kosher salt with onion and garlic powder.

I plan on wrapping the whole thing and putting in a cooler.

Amazingly, i just checked it and the bark is a lot deeper and more consistent.

I may try the wrap the point next time. That makes a lot of sense but doesn't it affect the bark too?
  • uncledave
    uncledave Posts: 90
    Options
    rsmith193, What do you do with the point once you wrap it? Keep cooking it?