Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling My Large. How Much Should I Ask?

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum

Wilma gave me the green light for my scheme to sell my large egg and use the proceeds to replace it with a new one complete with warranty.

Everything is in fine working order (except for the gasket!)  Initially I thought I would sell it with the table, etc. just as I bought it from somebody off Craigslist last year.  I paid $650 for the large, table, platesetter, pizza stone and a couple odd small things.  And I would be fine with offering the same deal except I'll throw in the spider and keep the pizza stone.  Lately I've been thinking I should keep the table so I can have something to set my mini on.  So what do think I should ask for everything minus the table?  (edit) Here's some pix:

Forgot to bring out the platesetter for the photo, but it's in great shape, too.  Thanks for looking.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    I would post it. Not like you are selling for a store. Bring up the pics and price. Think I would post on Craig's. Also hit the other forum. Best of luck getting it sold. See you are in Flint We were selling Larges at Salado Fest for $745 with nest and platesetter and warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • So it looks like this site depends on the age to determine true cash value.  From what the guy I bought it from told me, the Egg was three years old when I bought it.  So I figure its four years old.  Based on that, the Green Book says the Egg itself is worth $525 (if I'm calculating correctly).  I would be willing to deal. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Just take what you think it is worth. I think my large is worth 500,000 dollars so you know what I would get on the open market.
    :))
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    I pd $550 for a lg that had been cooked in<10 times, nest, mates & platesetter 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    You can always lower your price in Craigslist. Raising it is not as easy. ;)

Did you say it had a crack in it?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @chubbs
    I think he's wanting to sell before he gets a crack since it is getting older.

Hard to say, there is what is want for mine, but then there's what I'd be willing to pay for a used egg with no warranty.

I think $600 is a strong place to start. I wouldn't sell it any lower than $500, but maybe you can land around $550.

That being said, I look on Craigslist all the time and I wouldn't give 1/2 on anything used. Good luck!

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I wouldn't start any lower than $600. It also depends on the demand for an egg in Michigan and surrounding areas. My brother bought a used large in ATL with PS, ash tool, grill gripper, nest and mates, BGE charcoal for $700. It had only been cooked on 10 times in a year though. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Don't sell it.  Not sure why anyone would ever sell eggs or guns.  You should just keep buying eggs, guns, ammo, eggs, and eggcessories.  Hand one down to a kid one day. Tough decision.  Good luck, though.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Why are you selling it to get one with a warranty?  What are you planning on breaking? 

The only thing that ever breaks on these things is the firebox.  So, why take a $300-400 loss on part that's under $100?

My plan.....Go buy yourself a new one, and overprice this one on CL @ $700-800.  Complain how you're tired of all these CL fools offering you $200 for it, and that you really don't want these creeps over at your house.  Cancel the listing and now you have two BGEs.  You'll catch some trouble, but it will blow over.  That's how I have three BGEs.  :)

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Five hundred would be tops for it in my opinion.  I bought a used Medium with the basic accessories for $240..  It needed new castors on the nest.  Gasket was original and in good shape indicating it wasn't used much!!  Remember the buyer is wanting a discount on it for the same reason you are selling it.  I think your better off keeping it.  The gasket on the new one will burn up too, and at that point you are back to square one and only thing you are paying for is the warranty.. 
  • stlcharcoal

Plus the gasket is only covered under a 1-yr warranty like most everything else on the Egg (the ceramic is the only lifetime warranty item.)

So if you burn it up and they give you a new one, you're just going to burn up the new one again.  Eventually you'll just spend the $10-20 and put a Rutland, Nomex, or Cotronics gasket on it and be done.  Once I order another roll, I'll sell you a length of Cotronics woven ceramic flat gasket for the Large for $14+postage.  You just have to get the glue.  It's a little more expensive than the Rutland, but I like it because it's much thinner.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I think $500 is tops, too, and that would be after a new gasket and a clean burn. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013

Why are you selling it to get one with a warranty?  What are you planning on breaking? 

The only thing that ever breaks on these things is the firebox.  So, why take a $300-400 loss on part that's under $100?

My plan.....Go buy yourself a new one, and overprice this one on CL @ $700-800.  Complain how you're tired of all these CL fools offering you $200 for it, and that you really don't want these creeps over at your house.  Cancel the listing and now you have two BGEs.  You'll catch some trouble, but it will blow over.  That's how I have three BGEs.  :)

Look at the picture he posted on his original post about this. Thats my egg pouring smoke out the side. Tons of people on here have had cracked bases.. Including yours truly. Just happened out of the blue. I've gone through 2 rings,2 boxes, (on my 3rd of each) 1 platesetter and a base in 8 years. Glad I had my warranty
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stlcharcoal
    edited March 2013

Look at the picture he posted on his original post about this. Thats my egg pouring smoke out the side. Tons of people on here have had cracked bases.. Including yours truly. Just happened out of the blue. I've gone through 2 rings,2 boxes, (on my 3rd of each) 1 platesetter and a base in 8 years. Glad I had my warranty

Would you really go spend an extra $300-500 just to buy a new product (that you fully suspect is going to fail), just to get a warranty?  It doesn't make sense to me.  I'm glad it worked for you, but if I had that kind of experience with a product I would find a different manufacturer.  I definitely would NOT be suggesting that someone buy one.  I don't care how good their customer service is, they should make a reliable product.  I would have been demanding my money back with those issues.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2013

Would you really go spend an extra $300-500 just to buy a new product (that you fully suspect is going to fail), just to get a warranty?  It doesn't make sense to me.  I'm glad it worked for you, but if I had that kind of experience with a product I would find a different manufacturer.  I definitely would NOT be suggesting that someone buy one.  I don't care how good their customer service is, they should make a reliable product.  I would have been demanding my money back with those issues.

I'm not suggesting anything other than I have used my warranty. I wouldn't buy one used in the first place but that's just because I know I've used mine. I've enjoyed having it but it hasn't be the best or most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned. Knowing what I know (that they all fail in one way or another) I wouldn't have one without a warranty. There isn't a better warranty out there (some are the same), so I'll just roll with BGE

As far as demanding my money back, my first fail (ring and box) was after 6 years. So good luck with that :)). The base was almost 9 years. So after 9 years, I have all brand new parts and it looks and functions as new. Somehow I don't feel all that screwed over. 

• @stlcharcoal - The point is to sell the used Egg while it still has some decent resale value and use the proceeds to purchase a new one with a full warranty.  So this is a cost defraying measure to puchase a warranty or insurance if you will.  I'm not expecting a failure, but should one occur, I would be covered.  In my previous thread I posted a photo Cen-Tex took of his broken base after eight years and out of the blue.  Should a failure occur with my used Egg, I would be on the hook for the full cost of replacement.  Make no mistake, the Egg is a great product.  There would be a replacement!
    Flint, Michigan
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Before we moved I sold mine which was a large with platesetter, pizza stone, wok, spider and cast iron grates along with a custom table for 850.   

I then turned those proceeds towards a new one.  Since we were moving I was scared that the Egg would break in transit and therefore wouldn't get jack for it :)
    Large BGE

• stlcharcoal
    edited March 2013
    @stlcharcoal - The point is to sell the used Egg while it still has some decent resale value and use the proceeds to purchase a new one with a full warranty.  So this is a cost defraying measure to puchase a warranty or insurance if you will.  I'm not expecting a failure, but should one occur, I would be covered.  In my previous thread I posted a photo Cen-Tex took of his broken base after eight years and out of the blue.  Should a failure occur with my used Egg, I would be on the hook for the full cost of replacement.  Make no mistake, the Egg is a great product.  There would be a replacement!

I understand, but with the $300-500 loss you're going to take on this one, that's a lot of stuff to break on the new one.  That's an expensive "extended" warranty.  An extended one a TV or a car runs 10%-20%, you're looking at 30-50%.

The fireboxes, base, etc really aren't that expensive when you get them at dealer's cost.  Just call down to main store and they'll charge you dealer cost+shipping when you beg & plead.

I guess we're just on a different wavelength here.  I never buy extended warranties, and self insure on certain things.  It's cheaper for me in the long run to take a loss every few years than it to pay for the warranty or insurance on certain items.  The BGE is one of those things for me.  To each his own, I just would never spend extra money on a product to get a warranty because there was such a good chance it would fail.

I still suggest getting a second BGE as "insurance"!

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    @stlcharcoal - The point is to sell the used Egg while it still has some decent resale value and use the proceeds to purchase a new one with a full warranty.  So this is a cost defraying measure to puchase a warranty or insurance if you will.  I'm not expecting a failure, but should one occur, I would be covered.  In my previous thread I posted a photo Cen-Tex took of his broken base after eight years and out of the blue.  Should a failure occur with my used Egg, I would be on the hook for the full cost of replacement.  Make no mistake, the Egg is a great product.  There would be a replacement!

I understand, but with the $300-500 loss you're going to take on this one, that's a lot of stuff to break on the new one.  That's an expensive "extended" warranty.  An extended one a TV or a car runs 10%-20%, you're looking at 30-50%.

The fireboxes, base, etc really aren't that expensive when you get them at dealer's cost.  Just call down to main store and they'll charge you dealer cost+shipping when you beg & plead.

I guess we're just on a different wavelength here.  I never buy extended warranties, and self insure on certain things.  It's cheaper for me in the long run to take a loss every few years than it to pay for the warranty or insurance on certain items.  The BGE is one of those things for me.  To each his own, I just would never spend extra money on a product to get a warranty because there was such a good chance it would fail.

I still suggest getting a second BGE as "insurance"!

Hindsight being 20/20

I wish I sold my medium to buy a new one.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    There's a parts price list floating around here somewhere I want to say a base is like 250 or 300 alone
  • U_tarded said:
    There's a parts price list floating around here somewhere I want to say a base is like 250 or 300 alone
    Mine would have been $280. My guys don't do the "at cost" deal. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

U_tarded said:

Mine would have been $280. My guys don't do the "at cost" deal. 

Exactly so that cost adjusted for inflation/location adjustments the extra cost for a warranty is well worth it if Fred can get $500 and the rest is basically a sunk cost on the 1st major claim. Do it Fred do it