Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Invention: Asian Shrimp Tapas

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
... for lack of a better name.

Shell and devein, then score the bottom every 1/4" or so to flatten the shrimp out.

Marinate shrimp for a few hours in your favorite Asian marinate (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, sweet chile oil, etc)
Then, cut a spring roll wrapper in half, and roll up shrimp with a slice of jalapeno and green onion.

Ready for frying.  Heat wok (or fryer) to 350 and fry tapas.

Eat.  This is with homemade wonton soup (wontons home made and chicken stock home made), and sweet chile sauce for dipping.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nice looking cook but I got to say that is some nice finger nail polish Gary do your toes match?

:))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    As I've said many times, Pam is the master chef ... I am only the lowly kitchen ****. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good. May need to try those.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think your title would be "scullion".... :D

Looks good, very creative.
    very cool Gary. Nice.

I would be nervous with that much oil over an open fire. I'm not that steady!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CT - you need more bourbon to steady that hand for a dangerous oil-over-fire cook like VI.  (hmmm...his wife has him work the oil fire, must have a good life insurance policy...)
    Options
    Glad you did that great cook vi
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Those look freakin awesome, Pam did a great job
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

@ Village Idiot I'm going to do your Kalbi Korean Beef recipe on Skirt steak at the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest in June.

The Cen-Tex Smoker I'll be doing a Top Sirloin roast Santa Maria style, also. I know you're not a big fan of Tri-Tip, but you'll have to try this, see ya there.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Knock 'em dead, Billyray !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

They look great -- gotta try them even if i burn the house down with a grease fire !!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billyray said:

@ Village Idiot I'm going to do your Kalbi Korean Beef recipe on Skirt steak at the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest in June.

The Cen-Tex Smoker I'll be doing a Top Sirloin roast Santa Maria style, also. I know you're not a big fan of Tri-Tip, but you'll have to try this, see ya there.

Oh I like it.Any great cut of steak grilled over oak is right in my wheelhouse. I've just never had one or done one that was something out of the ordinary. Hopefully you can enlighten me :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    VI, these look out of this world!  Bookmarked!  My compliments to the master chef and her lowly kitchen beotch!
    Flint, Michigan
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I have been curious if there is any benefit of deep frying on the egg except a massive grease fire.

I have thought about it a few times but have not crossed that line yet.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    I have been curious if there is any benefit of deep frying on the egg except a massive grease fire. I have thought about it a few times but have not crossed that line yet.
    Ive been wondering the same..... wanting to get some fish outside but afraid of the obvious. Any experience or tips? 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm as proud of you as I was Travis when he took his first steps. Gary I bet you use it more this summer. Oysters and fish without heating kitchen. I use it all the time to fry now. Just the Mini, not the Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Deep frying so much better outdoors.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Anyone tried putting the DigiQ grate probe in a wok of oil?   That sounds like fun.
    Options
    Those look good. Sort of a whole shrimp lumpia.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    C'mon VI.  There is a smear on the inside of your chili sauce bowl. :D  Seriously though, your cooks and photos are some of my favorites on the forum.  Can I ask what camera you use?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @Bowhunr Thanks for pointing that out.  How sloppy of me.  I licked the side of the bowl to clean it up.  Check the photo again.

I use a Nikon D600. It's the first FX format digital SLR that is anywhere near in the price range of a consumer. I can also use most of my older DX lenses. Prior to the D600, you couldn't use a DX lens on an FX camera.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

"I just risked my life for this forum."

No more so than you did riding your Vespa across the highways of Texas to join us in Salado.  Your martyrdom seems to know no bounds.  All hail VI!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hartofatiger
    Options

That is perfect!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Yum!! Well that does it ....the mini will be doing that cook.. Looks fantastic sous chef and chef.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wow! Talk about fusion cuisine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Fantastic, VI!  :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    from the title I figured you were saying you invented Asia or shrimp...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    VI, it looks like the handle of your wok has an arc where the handle connects to the bowl of the wok.

Are you able to lower the dome without much of a gap left? Or is there no point in wondering since there is little point in closing the egg during a wok cook?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:
    VI, it looks like the handle of your wok has an arc where the handle connects to the bowl of the wok. Are you able to lower the dome without much of a gap left? Or is there no point in wondering since there is little point in closing the egg during a wok cook?
    @caliking The wok fits in the mini like it was made for it.  I never lower the dome when using the wok so I wouldn't know how much gap it leaves.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.