Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a Egg table

EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited March 2013 in EGG Table Forum

Im in the process of building a table for my XL Egg. From what I have read online, it seems that from the top shelf to the top of the bottom shelf, the height needs to be 12.5". Im guessing there is NO wiggle room here since the cut out must be 26 1/4". Heres what I don't like. With the 12.5" height, that doesn't leave much room to place anything on the shelf itself. Has anyone lowered the shelf lets say another 6" for a total of 18.5" from the top shelf to the top of the bottom shelf? With going this route you would need to build a box 6" tall to bring the Egg back up to the 12.5" height right?

Also, has anyone run into any issues with the hinge mechanism on the back of the XL Egg hitting the table? When I was looking at some plans, I think I would need to have the Egg cutout come about 2"-3" from the back side to avoid the hinge hitting the table when you open the lid. Once again, this all goes back to making sure that you have that 12.5" height perfectly.

Just looking for ideas or input.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Your gonna want something between your egg and table. You can use that "something" to give you more shelf room. If you wanted say 16 inches of shelf room, you can make a 3.5 inch stand and place 1 inch pavers in it that will make the hinge fit, while giving you a bigger shelf. It's what I did.

XLBGE 
  • I have a piece of porcelain that's going under the Egg. I guess the box will be about 6" tall, then porcelain. From there it "should" give me that 12.5" height from top of porcelain to top of table.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you make a cut-out for the hinges, which I see frequently, you can lower the bottom shelf.  You might need the hole diameter enlarged.  You can also lower the shelf, and build a platform for the egg (subtract any stand/nest/feet) and put that bottom shelf as low as you'd like.  The egg plans are just general guidelines, you don't have to follow them exactly - as long as the egg opens, gets air and nothing catches on fire, you're golden.
  • nolaegghead
    You might need to make the table a little deeper to clear the hinges, but it's as easy as opening and closing the top and taking some measurements.

Here's a link where someone made a cut-out for the hinge:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/809606/new-bge-and-table-plans-question
    Egghead, I just finished up mine. XL, as well. Why not add another shelf? Triple decker? I thought about it and may revisit it. It wouldn't take much more investment unless you're using a rare hardwood? Just a thought.
  •  

You might need to make the table a little deeper to clear the hinges, but it's as easy as opening and closing the top and taking some measurements.

Here's a link where someone made a cut-out for the hinge:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/809606/new-bge-and-table-plans-question
    you are awesome! seeing as how i will be dropping the Egg further into the table, what size would the cut out be?
  • jfdaly007 said:
    Egghead, I just finished up mine. XL, as well. Why not add another shelf? Triple decker? I thought about it and may revisit it. It wouldn't take much more investment unless you're using a rare hardwood? Just a thought.
    I think i should be good with one shelf
  • nolaegghead
    Don't have a large, but you can measure the diameter where the top will intersect with the egg bottom.  Or you can estimate it...it's an oval shape, so the diameter is a function of the distance from the bottom.  
    I did the cut-out for the hinges on my first table, not by plan, but design flaw. The thing I didn't like about was the handle was to close to the table. I tend to set barbeque tools in front of the egg as I'm using them, and found myself lowering the lid down and pinching my hand or the tool between the handle and the top. In my latest version table, egg sits higher and I like it much better. Just a thought to consider.
  • Holy crap I just got done building the table well it's about 99% done. the whole around the extra-large egg is approximately 1 inch too big. I don't know what the hell I was Measuring to cut such a large hole. It looks like **** and I'm not happy with it I really don't want to rip up all the upper boards and , do any of you guys have any ideas on how to fix this?
    Also what is the height of yalls eggs from the ground to the bottom gasket? my height is 39". This seems a little tall to me

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    what if you cut the platform it is sitting on down, it would lower the egg and take up some of the gap.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    edited April 2013
    That is a possibility. The platform is built using 2x6. From the bottom lip of the egg to the table is only 2". I don't think dropping it 2" will close my gap all that much.. Atleast not enough to see with the naked eye.. Im embarrassed to post these pics LOL
  • nolaegghead
    You could put some kind of gasket over the gap to make it look smaller.  Silicone is pretty heat resistant, but you could probably get away with vinyl or some plastic if you don't actually touch the egg side.  Maybe a door sweep?
    buy an xl and use that table for it and build another one for the large ;)
  • My egg is an XL :( lol.
  • canegger
    Ha didnt notice. Maybe an xxl then
  • Now the wife would have to intervine on that one LOL
  • Now the wife would have to intervine on that one LOL
  • nolaegghead said:

You could put some kind of gasket over the gap to make it look smaller.  Silicone is pretty heat resistant, but you could probably get away with vinyl or some plastic if you don't actually touch the egg side.  Maybe a door sweep?
    I was just on the Lowes website and saw their door sweepers. I don't see how those will bend into a circle without "bunching" up all over the place.
  • canegger
    If you put a stainless top you can add foam around ring and then bring the lip of the stainless over the foam and closer to the egg. If you want to got that route.
  • canegger said:
    If you put a stainless top you can add foam around ring and then bring the lip of the stainless over the foam and closer to the egg. If you want to got that route.

I'm not following.
  • canegger
    Use foam or something to take up the space and if you sheet the top of the table with stainless you can bring it closer to the egg
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125

If you make a cut-out for the hinges, which I see frequently, you can lower the bottom shelf.  You might need the hole diameter enlarged.  You can also lower the shelf, and build a platform for the egg (subtract any stand/nest/feet) and put that bottom shelf as low as you'd like.  The egg plans are just general guidelines, you don't have to follow them exactly - as long as the egg opens, gets air and nothing catches on fire, you're golden.

Did someone say fire?.....
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    You could use treated 1x4's and make an octagon then draw/cut the inner and outer circle the size you want, rout the outside edge then fasten it down to the table with screws.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    edited April 2013
    canegger said:
    what if you cut the platform it is sitting on down, it would lower the egg and take up some of the gap.
    Took your advise and it worked!!! It looks ALOT better!!! The middle part of the lower band of the Egg is now flush with the top of the table. Now there is about 1/2-3/4 at most gap around the entire Egg. We "ripped" the bottom of the platform about 2.75".. Only down side is we caught a lot of hell with the hinge mechanism on the back. Instead of cutting 2 slots as was mentioned, I literally had to take off an entire chunk of wood. Pics to follow. I appreciate all the suggestions. Im sure Ill have more questions, so stand by :)