Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overwhelmed Newbie...First Post

13»

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    They make a smaller V rack that is specifically for the small but will work with the medium.  Still can't recommend it because I really think the only thing it is useful for is ribs. And on any BGE smaller then the large you are going to have to cut the racks in order to fit them in the Egg length wise anyway. If you think you will be cooking a couple racks of ribs and cutting them up to cook them in the V rack by all means go for it. The smaller rack only has four spots so at most you would get two racks of ribs cut in the cooker.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • You haven't lit it yet.....not too late to get a large. Just sayin'

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

I am literally walking out the door to get a pork loin from the store.  I was going to wait until Monday, but I just can't stand it any longer.  As Dexter would say "tonight is the night."  Pictures to follow.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

I am literally walking out the door to get a pork loin from the store.  I was going to wait until Monday, but I just can't stand it any longer.  As Dexter would say "tonight is the night."  Pictures to follow.
    fine. Just get one later like everyone else. Have fun. You are going to love it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    So....where are you from....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I am from Boise Idaho originally, now live in Oklahoma City.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    The V rack is used for ribs (turned upside down) and roasts/butts when the "V" is on the upside - as far as ribs go, there are several rib racks that will fit on the medium and accommodate 4 - 6 1/2 racks of ribs - from the standpoint of roasts or pork shoulders/butts, I simply put the plate setter legs up, an aluminum pan that I get at Sam's on the base of the plate setter and use the ceramic grill to smoke or roast - I would probably use the "V" rack if I had a large but it simply doesn't fit on a medium
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Cast Iron grill - I really don't think it's worth it but some swear by it for searing and cooking steaks, etc - I think the ceramic grill that comes with the egg is just fine but I guess that's a matter of preference - perhaps you can get the CIG hotter and it will sear better than the ceramic but it will rust if you don't take care of it, (like all cast iron) and it just seems to be more trouble than it's worth
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    mine is stock and SS (2012 LBGE)
    Caveat - what I have learned since buying my medium a few years ago is that most of the accessories are designed and sized for a large - just be careful when you are looking at accessories that you're sure they'll fit - that means you're going to have to be aware of the diameter of the inside edge of your egg and the size of the accessory you're looking at - but, regardless, you'll have fun and cook some of the best food you've ever grilled!